Foal gone off hard feed

miller

Visit site
We have 2 fillies - one 6.5 months one 5.5 months - both have been eating Winergy Growth absolutely fine - used 2 bags so far - younger one has been, till now a real gannett

Opened a new bag yesterday and the older one eating fine but the younger one will not entertain it, even with extra sugar beet, handful of pasture mix etc - she sniffs it then leaves it, won't even take a mouthful. Eating hay like it's going out of fashion though.

Any bright ideas or should we try her on another youngstock feed? Any suggestions as to what?

She is hanoverian to make 16.2hh and obv don't want to over cook her but on the flip side would like to ensure she has enough vits/min esp being so young.

They are out from 5:45am to 6:30pm daily on average grazing - swapping fields at weekend so will be on better grazing from then. Ad lib haylage (very dry, like a wrapped hay)

Edited to say - they were both wormed on monday, no scouring or anything since

Thanks

Pascal96

Visit site
Sounds like Winergy have changed an ingredient and she can taste the difference. I had a mare like this and she was a pain because every time something changed in the feed she would go off it for a few days until she got used to the different taste - she was only on horse and pony cubes! She was also a nightmare when I put her in foal to change onto stud cubes.

I would suggest using something to disguise the taste. If she likes mint 1 or 2 drops of peppermint essence might do the trick or I have seen apple juice suggested on here.

edwardbear

New User
Visit site
Dont panic ,make sure shes drinking and eating hay or haylage , You have possibly just overfaced her.
Each year one of our foals will have a day or so when they go off their ration. We just go again gradually introducing - little and often , removing any feed that has been left.
One of ours this year wont touch anything in a little pellet or cube. No drama shes eating loads of haylage!