Foal growth

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Does the growth of foals slow down during the colder months? Our foal doesn't seem to be growing anymore, he's not gained weight or size in the last month... he's five months old now. According to the baileys growth plan he's down to the native pony and showing pony catagory. aiming to a mature weight of 300 - 400 kgs... But his Mom is a huge fat cleveland bay? Is it just the weather? He's being fed the right amount and I don't want him to gain any more fat, he's just right condition wise.

Any info appreciated

EC

squirtlysmum

Visit site
I found that growth definatly went in fits and starts. My baby was by a 17hh out of 16hh and came out so tiny that the vet said he'd make 14hh (hair went shade of grey!! As I'm 5'9'') however he grew and kept growing and has stopped at 16.2hh.
I think their growth is slower in the winter as their little bods are concentrating on growing furry coats and keeping warm. Plus as you see them every day you may not see any difference as a visitor may well. Don't worry and be patient.

cazza

community.webshots.com
All ours slow down in the winter then everything seems to shoot up at a scarey rate. Although watch with the feeding, had someone in to look after the youngstock and they over fed one of them. This has resulted in a major operation taking place on both front legs as the bone grew too much for the ligaments. We are still touch and go as to whether the youngster will be ok or not.

amandaco2

Visit site
my WB youngsters growth has been pretty even but it has slowed down over the winter time.she is 8 months old and about 14.1hh. she was about 11hh at birth.
mum is 15.1 and dad is 16.2.
shes fed on baileys stud balancer and ad lib haylage.aim for s even growth as possible-sudden spurts are thought to contribute to bone and ligament issues as well as being overweight.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Thanks, put my mind at rest, I think he's going to need hay soon but we've still got to source out a reliable hay supplier. He's a lovely little colt, about 12.2hh at the moment, I'm hoping he'll make 16hh but I think he's going to be a late maturer, his mom's five and has grown an inch or two since we brought her in the summer. We don't know who the father is, it's been suggested its a gypsy cob, but little Orion has no feather or anything so I'm not so sure.

He's bay now but... I can't resist posting a piccy...

orion.jpg

(psst if anyones looking for a gorgeous part cb colt... pm me
grin.gif
) advertise? me? never ....
wink.gif

Thanks again

EC

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ooo isn't he lovely.

I would be feeding adlib hay personally at this time of year. Youngsters at my place are never without hay.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
I wish I could feed ad lib hay, I'm hoping to be able to once we've found a supplier, currently the only hay available was cut on the yard... and that requires me to rant on about ragwort and irresponsibility... so I won't go there. I'm not feeding there hay to our lot. Grr its so annoying, I point out there is ragwort in their backyard and in the field next to mine and they accept that, so why on earth do they do nothing about it? And then when I go pick it up myself people think I fuss too much. It makes me so mad, aswell as the fact they keep getting new liveries when the fields are overgrazed and my mare has been on the same field since jan. Along with broken fencing and innacesible fields... I'm getting so annoyed...

Oops mini rant I said I wouldn't
blush.gif

Anyway I need to find a hay supplier, think we may have found someone but need to make phonecalls etc...
They're out 24/7 and up until now grass hasn't been a problem, but its just started looking poor this week.

I will get on to the hay asap.

Ignore my ranting,
grin.gif

Thanks for your replies... He is lovely and so curious. He's the first foal I've ever owned so I'm over cautious about getting everything right for him.

EC

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Can totally understand your feelings regarding the ragwort - how awful.

It may well be (and I could be totally out of order here - so apologies if I am), that your foal could be struggling then a little. The energy taken to keep warm, especially in the kind of weather we've been having, can cause their condition to drop very quickly - hence you thinking that possibly it has stopped growing.

None of our youngsters are left out when the weather is bad - they need to spend their energy on growing - not coping with apalling weather conditions, and are brought in to barns with plenty of haylage.

I would be inclined to move pretty quickly on the hay front, and ensure that he has adquate shelter from all of this wet or you could be heading for trouble.

S_N

Visit site
Have to say I agree with AM to certain extent.

Could he wear a rug? Does he get any hard feed? Could you feed him haylage in the interim whilst looking for decent hay?

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
He's fed balancer, hifi lite and as many apples and carrots as he can fit in his mouth
wink.gif
. He looks fluffy and well and does take a lot from his Mum and she hasn't lost any weight at all, she's still a very fat heffalump. He isn't ribby or anything and I'd be reluctant to put a rug on him as he doesn't really need it, I'd prefer to offer adlib hay. I will get onto the supplier as soon as possible. I'd like to be able to park a large round bale in their field as otherwise I'd be taking numerous bales of hay up daily to keep it adlib. There are three of them in the field, him, his mom and my tb. And he'd be at the bottom of the pecking order for hay. How much would a large round bale cost? And how long approx would it last three greedy monsters?

Shelter is another rant I won't go into... I promise this time I won't.
crazy.gif
As we've only got one stable between them and I can't seperate the two mares at risk of causing another bout of colic, aswell as the fact the stable is quite a walk from the fieldm, having to lead two. I've asked for a closer field when I first bought mare and foal, when foal was unhandlable and unleadable, but nope sorry... not important enough. (tell me that wasn't a rant
confused.gif
)

I'm a bit stuck really and starting to feel a change of yards is neccasary.

Do you think there's anything else I could try?

EC

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Round bale would be ideal. Don't put it in a feeder though as he's a bit young. Ours are sold on for around £15 each. It's difficult to say how long it would last - probably a week I would have thought. However, how would you get it to the field?? Will YO put it on a spike for you??

Does sound as if your situation may not be perfect - but what is unless you keep them at home?

Tia

Visit site
I agree with AM. Our babies and youngsters live out 24/7 however they all have access to a huge barn and they do use it. They are all fed twice a day and ad-lib hayed and they are all rugged. Mine get round bales outside in feeders and in the barn they have square bales broken up and place all around the sides of the barn. They are all looking lovely.

S_N

Visit site
Please don't feed your foal Hi-Fi Lite! I was talking to a nutritionalist a few months ago and she said NOT to feed any form of chopped straw to foals - they cannot masticate is well enough and it can lead to choke. Also the Calcium/Phosphorus ratio is not the best for a growing foals bones. A better option would be Alfa-A Lite or Alfa-A itself.

I think a round bale would last about a week with 2 1/2 horses at it.

sallyf

Visit site
Tend to agree would expect him to be at least 13.2 by now to make 16 hands but the little beggers do have a habit of surprising us.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Thanks for the help... he is off hifi now, though he still nicks his moms... Have been feeding some of the dodgy hay but checking it... will be getting a delivery soon.

If he doesn't make 16hh it isnt that bad, I just want him to grow properly, his fathers a mystery so I don't know what to expect. He'll be for sale in the new year, I'm really looking forward to riding his mom, only a few more months to go
smile.gif

There are more holes in the fence... I'm getting a bit sick of it happening. This time it was the hedge trimmer, he pulled two trees out, I was lucky they hadn't escaped... anyway the yard owner 'fixed it' so now it's a tiny bit better, but not the road hedge. Ah well livery yards... don't you just love em?

Anyway thanks again for your help, I'll have to inform you how big he gets now, I'm so intrested to see what he turns into.

EC