Foal Mane Pulling

lucyrostance

Visit site
I'm taking my yearling out to some shows this year and she needs to be plaited up. She has a really thick mane which she absolutely hates me pulling. It's definately hurting her cos she's so laid back with everything else. I've tried using a solo comb to thin it but it seems to be taking forever and not really thinning it out much. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do so she doesn't end up with massive golf ball plaits?? Thanks

ThePony

Visit site
Would second a mane rake. I use one to thin my mares mane, then a solo comb to get the length I want. The rake does pull a little, so best done after a bit of work or something, but def better than pulling. The derby house one is much cheaper than the oster(sp?) or smart rake ones, I have it and it is hardwearing and good for the £ I think. http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/prodshow.asp?id=889&cat=2&scats=51,55

teddyt

Visit site
Persevere with the solo comb or ditto others, a mane rake. I bought a 3 year old that had had her mane pulled as a foal and you couldnt get near her mane with anything, she was so traumatised! I always cut it with scissors now because she wont tolerate even a gentle tug when a comb hits a tangle