Foal pics, meet Hera

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It was suggested that my post in Breeding was hiding, so here's a new one. Introducing my first homebred, Hera, who Salty was kind enough to present to us at a very civilised hour at 8pm yesterday ?

Today she had a check up with the vet and was pronounced fit and healthy, her IgG has come back at a good level so Salty has done a good job so far and is supremely proud of her efforts. Don't blame her, we are all smitten. It was raining for most of the day but we got a reasonably dry hour to begin a bit of turnout which went down well with them both. Anyway, pics:

20200603_155613_compress39.jpg20200603_201159_compress61.jpg20200603_154729_compress59.jpg20200603_160122_compress57.jpgScreenshot_20200603-200744_Video Player_compress72.jpg

turkana

Visit site
Beautiful & a good name, I had a Hera who was my horse of a lifetime, if your Hera turns out anything like mine she's going to be very special.
Mum looks very proud & rightly so

milliepops

Visit site
It was hidden away;), this should be the start of another epic thread as we follow Hera from day 1, 10 years or so from now she should be doing GP:) mum looks very proud and rightly so.
Haha, no pressure! She has some smart horses in her pedigree so out of all of my gang, is the first that could be remotely said to be bred for the job ? so far she seems to be enjoying whirling around on her long legs ?

milliepops

Visit site
Lovely. Love her little white spots on her head. Whose dad? (I missed everything about this - sorry)
No worries, she went to a local KWPN stallion called Update. He has a lovely temperament and lots of useful nice natured offspring so I am hoping he will bring a bit more expression but retain salty's happy outlook.

be positive

Visit site
Haha, no pressure! She has some smart horses in her pedigree so out of all of my gang, is the first that could be remotely said to be bred for the job ? so far she seems to be enjoying whirling around on her long legs ?

No pressure but considering she is bred for the job you have a head start on Kira who has achieved more than anyone would have dreamed of, it is such a worry though as so much can go wrong and having bred them seen them from the very start every day is a bit full of mixed feelings, anxiety and dreams for the future rolled into one, not to mention how much time is spent just watching them, never time wasted though.

milliepops

Visit site
No pressure but considering she is bred for the job you have a head start on Kira who has achieved more than anyone would have dreamed of, it is such a worry though as so much can go wrong and having bred them seen them from the very start every day is a bit full of mixed feelings, anxiety and dreams for the future rolled into one, not to mention how much time is spent just watching them, never time wasted though.
Yeah my mum asked me if i had slept better last night, well.. yes and no... we're over one hurdle but there's a flipping hurdle forest out there before she's an adult and god knows they go wrong as adults too ?

milliepops

Visit site
Oh I love them both ?, kinda makes me rethink my no breeding plans lol x
I'll be honest, I did think long and hard about it and sort of wrangled with myself about whether it was right to do when I could just carry on mopping up other people's rejects. But she's bred to keep, and YOLO & all that ;) I am confident that she has a secure future :)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I'll be honest, I did think long and hard about it and sort of wrangled with myself about whether it was right to do when I could just carry on mopping up other people's rejects. But she's bred to keep, and YOLO & all that ;) I am confident that she has a secure future :)

I think you’ve made 100% the right choice x

be positive

Visit site

It has given Salty a job to do, which she seems to have taken to rather well, she was so lucky she ended up with you as by now she could have been passed from pillar to post and ended up anywhere, she has rewarded you with a horse for you to really enjoy in the future even if you have many sleepless nights ahead:rolleyes: