foal rugs

jewel

Visit site
i need to get a rug for my foal that i'm getting. am i better to get a foal rug or pony rug?? she is in 4ft 3. i don't really want to pay alot as she probably going to out grow in before the winter is out

D

Donkeymad

You can get either, they go well above 4'3". I prefer pony rugs as they have tail flaps and foal rugs don't, but foal rugs are designed for the shorter body depth of foals, a pony rug might be too long. I'm not rugging my foal.

jewel

Visit site
thanks for that didn't know that the foal rugs didn't have tail flap, so thats made up my mind to get a pony rug

KarynK

Visit site
You will have to be careful which brand you get as they all fit differently. I use Light Weight Horseware Amigo pony rugs, because they are a perfect fit round the neck for foals and don't gape like some makes. Also foals have a big coat and can overheat in middle and heavy weights, you can always put a cheap stable rug underneath if it gets really cold.

Mine start in 4'6" or 4'9" in their first year, but they soon grow out of them. I buy 2 sizes up and if yours is now a 4'3" Id start with a 4'6", for now to grow into a 5' (around xmas), and possibly a 5'3" for the spring. What you do is wait for the fluffy butt to stick out then change up! Get a good denier too as they will rip them on something if they can!!!!

Foal rugs are designed (usually badly) for very young foals, they stick up at the back and tend to be too short in depth and for some reason all have 250gm filling, when foals are really fluffy!!!

Also the Rhingold spotty pony rugs aren't too bad V cheap but I did take the leg straps off and use one as a fillet string. As the winter got harder I used the Amigo's better VFM I think.

Good luck

loz9

Visit site
iv been buying derby house pony rugs for my guys & find they fit really well, at the mo they are in:

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/prodshow.asp?id=5412&cat=2&scats=48

and i think il be buying another one soon!! They are standing up really well to 3 foals in a field playing, so far iv only made one repair, when the horse over the fence tried to pick one of them up! lol! To try and make them last longer i buy 3'' longer than i need & push them as long as i can it, like KarynK says til the fluffy butt sticks out, then go up to the next size about 6or9'' longer, depending on how much butt is pokin out!

Good luck with the new foal!