Foal turning hind foot inwards

Folara

Visit site
Little Cally has grown so much in two weeks its unreal but she seems to be turning one of her hind feet inwards.

I spoke to the vet about this and he said give her another 4 weeks to fully straighten before looking at it again but my farrier was more concerned as he said foals should naturally turn their feet out as when they strengthen etc they then straighten up. However he also said give her time before doing anything.

Has anyone else had experience of this and what did you/vet/farrier do to combat it? Will it affect her long term (she is bred for dressage)? Am I just being neurotic again?!!!

Thanks.

bethc93

hotmail.co.uk
omg my sis is called cally spelt the same and every thing how cool
grin.gif

Folara

Visit site
Hiya - im a bit of a newbie in that I never seem to get much time to come on here (and even worse now with a foal lol)!

Cally will be 2 weeks old Monday morning (12.45am to be precise).

She was a big foal and the birth wasnt the best. She took ages to get up and in the end we had to resort to some lifting bum techniques. She now gallops and leaps round the field loads and the slight turn of the foot really doesnt seem to make a difference to her. She has lovely paces and is really uphill for such a wee thing

I am great believer in having them out as much as poss so unless the weather is severe she is out 24 hours. Saying that the weather has been really poo (with another severe weather warning tonight) so she has only had one night out so far but is turned out from 7am to 9pm anyway. They do have a field shelter but until she is a bit more weather-proof I prefer her in with the severe weather.

I am a bit neurotic as we lost our little foal last year.

christine48

Visit site
One of my foals had to have a little glue on plastic shoe for a few weeks. He straightened up fine. Just be careful with your foal being out at night, they can catch a chill so easily at this stage.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Hi, my filly was born correct in the leg, but at about 10 days both fronts turned in a but, uneven growth in the first pasture bones according to the farrier and vet. We had her sedated, and the farrier put on plastic shoes, went on like mastic and was hard in 30 seconds, farrier out again tomorrow to check and rasp whatever is necessary (four weeks after they were fitted). Some people have said we should have left it to sort itself out... others have said that maybe their own adult horses wouldn't dish or plait now it they'd been sorted out as a foal! Cost so far £52 for the farrier to put the shoes on, and I expect it will be about £20 tomorrow for rasping, and whatever the vet charges for sedation - expect about £50 tops.