Foalie advice needed

barkinghorse

Visit site
Fell in love with a Friesian x TB foalie in August just after losing Jess, ummed and arrred for a while and missed out to my YO who bought her and another one that the yard next door was selling.
Now at 6 mths, i have the chance to buy her, she is lovely natured and i have dealt with her ever since she was weaned, so have a good bond with her.
My only problem is (beside OH doing his nut) i am a bit of a mauler, I want to do lots of things with her I.E teach her to ty up, box, walk next to me properly and take her for walks up to the road, etc.
In my heart of hearts I know i should probably just turn her out and let her be a foal for 12 mths but i know i won't.
Should i leave well alone and buy something older?
Jo xx

samp

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with handling her, however I would not be doing too much work with her until a 2 year old. I would let her mature a bit first. By all means carry on grooming, handling etc

Evadiva1514

Visit site
When i bought my weanlings last year i spent a lot of time with them handling them etc, so they got used to me and the routine. I agree with Samp in that handling is important in a horse of this age but you have to do things in moderation.

Good luck with her if you do decide to go ahead, they give you an awful lot of enjoyment and i'm sure you will love it just as much as i have done!! Its very rewarding!!

pottamus

Visit site
Thanks, yeah as mentioned I think you are looking at handling and grooming really until she is a bit older. She sounds a nice breed combination and if you missed out once, you need to ask yourself the question...whether you would regret missing out again!
It will be a bit boring not doing much with her for some time yet...but would it be worth it in the end...probably yes!
OH's can usually be convinced of the benefit of these things...but then I don't know as I only have one horse!

miamibear

Visit site
I dont see a problem with tying up, leading, grooming, boxing etc. In fact i think its a good thing to get them used to things at this age but as others have said in moderation or you could sicken her.

Just take it steady and do a little bit.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Agree with miamibear- its a good thing you want to spend lots of time handling her. I say go for it!
grin.gif

GTs

Visit site
There is a balance - foals need their time to be foals, but they also very adventurous, and will enjoy these things as long as you keep it fun enjoyable. I would do 10-15 mins a few times a week, and if you ever think it is too much for her mind, back off and just do fun things.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Whilst I did not get Chancer home until he was 15 months, prior to that he had been well handled. I viewed him at a year and picked up feet, groomed, loaded, tied up and walked him round fields and a path before I decided to buy him.

They are taught to have feet picked, load and lead from 3 months where he came from. At 6 months they are taught to tie up.

I got a perfectly started little horse who is very mature for his age and have continued with his training very slowly for the past year to the stage that he is now 2 1/2 and just starting to be backed.

As long as they have plenty of time to be babies out in the field, I think they do benefit from a few minutes training several times a week from an early age.