Foals and protein

First Time Mum

Visit site
Hi a question as I have been reading up on problems foals can get with too much protein in their diets. My 6 month old foal is still with her mum (who is producing very little milk and decided that foalies drinking days are over) is out 24/7 with a rug (I know i'm soft) and has access to adlib hay is growing like a weed. She currently gets a double handful of pure feed stud mix and a tiny bit of boiled barley (mainly the water to damp the stud mix down) she normally steals some of mums food as well who is still on the stud mix and also boiled barley as she was a bit run down.
Do people think this is ok? What would you look for first as signs of problems from too much protein?

equinim

Visit site
on pure feed stud mix u dont need barley u will alter the vit and min levels
i feed pf stud mix and all i add is sugar beet to dampen feed and produce a bit more weight gain.
2 handfuls dont seem much mine get 1/2 to 2 scoops depending on size
foals eat out of mums bowl even though they have own bowls.

pinkypug1

Visit site
hiya, my foal is 5 1/2 months & out 24/7 grass is gettin poor so gets add lib hayage, still with mum & feeding very little, she is rugless. She gets 1 scoop (approx 1kg) of stud mix & a little sugar beet. She also eats from mums bowl which i try to best to stop it but standing in the tipping rain moving buckets between horses is not much fun!