Foals Sharing Stables.

Rachel_M

Visit site
A QQ.

I just have spotted a lovely pair of foals for sale and it has brought up a little query.

Would you be comfortable allowing them to share a stable? I don't see the point in paying for two stables just yet when they are so small. I understand that they would need a stable each in time but as they are so young, the companionship would also be a bonus?

Does anyone allow thier foals to bunk together?

rrose

Visit site
where i work 2 foals share a stable, but it is a foaling box. as long as thay can move around im sure it wont be a problem.
grin.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
Definitely ok for them to share a box, provided they have plenty of room. Weaned foals are often put in together to keep each other company. Even older horses can share stables. I have a big 17.3 and a 14.0 hander. They are such good friends that when we were altering our yard, they shared a huge stable together while we doing some building. They were perfectly happy, sharing hay and lying down together. In countries like Iceland, very few horses have individual stables.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
There should be no problem at all, in fact keeping two together is by far the happiest method for them.
The only problem you will get is separation anxiety, ensure you have a grill on the top door to prevent a single foal climbing over.

rema

Visit site
My boy shared a stable with his friend until they were about 8 months old( before Flint realised those bits dangling between his legs could be put to use)
grin.gif

He must of had one of the smothest weanings going.After taken away from mum he was put in with his freind and i never heard a peep out of him as far as missing his mum went!!.
grin.gif

Evadiva1514

Visit site
My two babies (now yearlings) share a barn and have done since they were weaned. They are happy being together and go into separate stables happily when they are waiting for the farrier etc. I wouldn't have any problems at all letting them share a stable again, especially when your weaning them!!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
When my baby was weaned she was put in a large stable with one of her friends who she had been sharing a field with for the last couple of months, they had a scrap and my baby ended up with 5 staples in her leg, personally I wouldn't do it again in a rush.

Rachel_M

Visit site
That is one of the worries that did cross my mind but I guess it could happen in the field as well.

At what age did you start to stable them apart? Was it just a case of when they were too big too share?