Foals - swinging?

S_N

Visit site
LOL Shell, I'm having images of trying to pick H up by his front fetlocks and swinging him round my head
ooo.gif
crazy.gif
a136.gif

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
maybe I speak a different language or it's not common practise anymore?
when I was a bearn the farmer used to 'throw/swing' his foals to the ground, similar to the way cow boys do.

S_N

Visit site
OH My goodness me - I've never come across that in this country!! Pillar tying hmmmm is that not considered to be dangerous now? Though I do understand the principle and it certainly DOES teach a horse that pulling back is futile!

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Erm Denver might be a randy little sod but he's FAR too young to know about things like swinging!!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FOCLMFAO!!!!!!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I HAD to read this, I was intruiged, I had visions of rude things going on...
anyway, never heard of either, and i should imagine if you did so you would probably get done for cruelty....

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
Well whilst out hunting last season I definately spoke to a girl who'd swung her foal whilst on it's mother. . . . just assumed it was normal practise?

Enfys

Visit site
I am probably wrong here, but I thought swinging a horse referred to tying or looping a long rope around a solid post and letting the horse pull against the pole rather than the handler who is holding the loose end of the rope.

I'm sure someone will correct me.

LauraBR

Visit site
I thought swinging a foal was tying them up to something solid to teach them to respect being tied to something? Not throwing them to the ground?

My practical foal knowledge is limited to say the least though...

tinker512

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
duno thats why I asked. . . . I'm hoping to breed my first foalie so needed to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

...well I think you will need to know alot more!!!

S_N

Visit site
Ahhhh now that does kind of make sense and if that's the case, then yes I have kind of done that with H - only a couple of times and he was like
1.gif
"hhhhhmmmmmm I can't move much..... So I won't"
grin.gif
Good pony is H
grin.gif

Louise2005

Visit site
Just before I got my foalie, YO asked me if he'd been swung and I said 'has he been what?
confused.gif
' as you do lol, never heard of it before. And she said it meant like halter-broken I think. I didn't really understand, maybe she meant the tying up thing
confused.gif

Lou.x

mariond

Visit site
Yes Enfys is right. When we sold some youngsters to a couple from Yorkshire he asked me if they had been swung ???? I had to ask what it was and he said it was tying a horse to a solid post etc with 2 headcollars to teach it to tie and not pull when led. I don't think my nerved could stand doing that to a youngster !

Vey

Visit site
Swinging is tying to a solid object - and if it works it works - unfortunately sometimes it does not work and the foal or yearling will seriously damage its back or neck. It depends if you see a foal as something expendable you can take a risk with, or as something valuable you would rather teach the same thing by safe methods. I take the latter view, and teach the youngster how to release pressure by moving forward first, before teaching tying up.

Gingernags

Visit site
Its horrible and old fashioned and I'd never, ever do that to a youngster.

You use the strongest halter you can find, one that won't snap, and very stout rope, and tie them to something solid, post or tree, and let them fight being tied up.

Basically you hope the foal will learn to stand still before it breaks its neck/leg as the rope and the post aren't intended to give at all.

A book I've seen goes one step further and encourages you to "sack" the poor thing out. In other words flap a sack around MAKING the foal/horse panick and pull back, to get it used to being tied when things are scary.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Alibear

Visit site
I know about dropping foals/yearlings basically when they start using you as a climbing frame as you lead them you head for a soft surfce and lean back and drop them to the floor .

Definitly an "older" horseman trik but has/had it's merits.