Foals/yearlings pros and cons

tabithakat64

Visit site
So what are the pro's and cons of buying a yearling or foal. I need people to be really honest.
I've fallen in love with a relatively unhandled but kind new forest pony my friend brought at the sales to sell on, he should make 14.2hh which is big enough for me and I enjoy doing all the ground work, have never been interested in foals/young horses but have helped back a couple.
Really not sure what to do
confused.gif
do I just help her with him and hope he finds a good home or do I commit to a third equine even though I work full-time and am not made of money???
Any advice?

Faithkat

Visit site
Personally, I find working with foals/yearlings extremely rewarding and much more fun than riding! To take an unhandled baby, teach it all the things that people take for granted and see it grow into a nice youngster with no hang-ups etc is absolutely fantastic. No two are the same and all develop at different rates. I lose interest once they can be ridden and I think that's one of the reasons I just can't "gel" with the one I bought this year (she's 5!) She's in-foal and I can't wait to have another baby to start!!! Go for it, it's great fun and, like I said, VERY rewarding

Lill

Visit site
Funny you should say that actually i went to look at a yearling yesterday and am very tempted to buy it should the price not be too much! The main reason i am interested is because with a young horse you can bring it up YOUR way and any mistakes you make are yours to correct not someone elses and its far more rewarding than a 'ready made' horse (well in my opinion anyway some may disagree!). Sorry am not being much help more rambling! Could you cope with the time and money situation as well as already having 2 though?

threeponies

Visit site
I bought mine as foals, 1 as ayearling and would do it again in a flash. It is so rewarding to work with them and to achieve things with them.

mandy4727

Visit site
We bought ours as a yearling in Jan this year. As I knew I wouldn't be able to afford a horse of the quality we wanted already done and dusted. So opted for the "cheaper" version. We did have some hairy moments when we first got her rearing etc etc, but we soon put stop to that. And we have had loads of fun walking her over poles, plastic bags, cones, out in traffic, taking her to a show. It is a learning curve and she starting to trust us now. I know that when she is older it will be all myself and my daughters doing. But must admit can't wait until she is 4 and we can start riding her!!!

lennysmith

Visit site
Another thumbs up from me too. I never wanted a foal, never imagined I'd get one. But then I found out my mare was in foal before when I bought her.

Having Denver has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. He's amazing, all the time you put in you certainly get back.

If you think you can do it (and lets face it if I can then anyone can) go for it!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I bought Chancer at 14 months and have never regretted it. He was used to being handled and being a gypsy cob is very laid back.

I am having so much fun with him and he has taught me lots.

I am experienced with older horses and have had green horses but never a youngster before.

I have taken lots of advice and have an instructor who is experienced with bringing on babies come to see me every few weeks to monitor our progress.

He is now 29 months and ready for backing which will take place at Christmas.

If you feel you have enough experience, can get advice and have lots of patience, then yes I would consider it.

Tia

Visit site
I have to agree with everyone else......I absolutely love my youngsters. They are such fun and give you so much joy.
smile.gif

S_N

Visit site
There is nothing quite like being around foalies and youngsters. I couldn't put it in words better than Forester.