Foals!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
My OH and I have been talking about the possibility of maybe putting my mare in foal in a couple of years time. It isn't something we want to rush into, and we may not feel the time is ever right, and so not do it.

What I would like to know is, how do we go about it? Right from the beginning to the end. It isn't something I have ever done before and want to research it thoroughly.

Bossdog

Visit site
I think the most important thing in breeding is to assess your mare honestly. How close is her confirmation to perfection? Does she have a temperament to die for and what is her success in showing/competing? Does she have good bloodlines for her breed? I knwo that it's tempting to breed for sentimental reasons, you want a foal from your lovely mare because she's given you many happy years but what if the foal has poor conformation, what will you do with it then?

Once you have assessed her (perhaps ask someone unbiased to give you an honest opinion) the next stage is to look at her weaknesses. Does she have a slighly long/short back etc? Once you know these, you can start to look for a stallion to complement her. I personally wuoldn't go for a stallion to large or too small in an attempt to breed a height different from your mare, it rarely turns out that way! Choose the best stallion you can and then look at his progeny, what stamp is he putting on his offspring and do you like it?

Then you need to make sure all her vet checks are up to date and have her swabbed, even if the stud doesn't ask for it, it's still a good idea and courteous.

Make a note of her seasons so you can accuratly predict when she will come in. She needs to be in really good condition, not fat but not too fit. She doesn't need an extra feeding till third trimester so don't be tempted to overfeed.

From here on, it's down to personal preference, some studs will want to keep your mare for a time, others will send her straight home. You can pretty much work as normal until you consider that she needs to stop.

Foaling again is personal preference, you can send her to teh stud or keep her at home. We never had any problems with mares foaling at home but if she is a maiden, keep your vets number handy. Don't intrude too much, they don't like being watched!!

Once baby is born the choices are too many to describe, but it pays to read up.

There aer so many good books out there, I would definatly buy one. Right noe you can look into up and coming stallions and research bloodlines, see which horses you like and find common ancestors.

Ifyou need any more help, please pm me!!

Love Jules x

seaview

Visit site
I agree with Jules, before I put my mare in foal I had to bring her up to my instructor and he assessed her any conformtaion faults she had I had to try to compensate with the stallion, apart form a poorish back end even when at peak of work and muscle my mare is very good conformation wise but her temperament would be a bit scatty so I decided to go for a big ID (she is tb) the foal is now two has a fantastic temperament (could teach her mum a thing or two) and a bum jennifer lopez would be envious of!!

One other thing to think of though is April development hormonal problems after this and had tumours, her ovaries ahd to be removed, now whilst I would never sell her as we have been together for about 11 years it defo wouldnt be a good selling point plus the op cost a fortune which due to her age 16 now the insurance company wouldnt cover it GRR!

Think carefully and whilst I loved the experience and still am realistically I wont sell the 'baby' as I am too sentimental!

_jetset_

Visit site
Try the book Birth to Backing by Janet Lorch (I think that's her name anyway). It is absolutely brilliant if you are thinking of breeding because it takes you through absolutely everything!