Folks from NW.....Beaches

Rachel_M

Visit site
After drooling at JH58's stunning piccies I am just wondering what beaches are there up in the lancs/cheshire area, that are horse friendly.

.......now where is my swimsuit when you need it.
grin.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
If you go to West Kirby do be careful re the tide times. I rode there weekly most of my life and there are hidden dangers on that beach.
Do not ride out to Hilbre unless you are sure where the mud flats are, also the tide comes back in along a channel between you and Hilbre and it gets deep and fast flowing before you actually see it. being typical teenagers we had a few scares when we got caught behind the tide, and it is very disorientating when this happens.
I would ring the coastguard and ask his advice, then when you get on the beach go out a few hundred yards then keep parallel with the land, that way ther sand is hard and safe. There used to be a trainer called Crossley who trained his racehorses on there every day, my mate had a bet with one of the jockeys and raced him on her very fit event horse. Mr Crossley screamed abuse at us when she won..(he's long dead)
Enjoy but be careful, the other beaches are definitely not safe unless you know them well, two of my former livery clients had to be air rescued when they went on the beach at Caldy and their horses got stuck...