Follicles not growing - experiences please

Cluny

Visit site
I'm a first time breeder and my mare is a maiden mare (12 yr old Dutch WB mare). I have a great AI vet who is very experienced and has a high success rate at AI. My mare had an internal scan to check everything was as it should be and it all looked healthy. She had her first Prostaglandin shot a week ago last Friday and was then scanned daily to see if her Follicles were growing, nothing happened. She then had another shot last Friday and came home for the weekend and then went back yesterday. Scanned this morning and again, no progress, her follicles still measure about 1cm in diameter.

Had a long chat with my vet and we've decided to start her on a course of daily shots of Recepta-something (have forgotten its name) to see if that will help.

Before all this she was clearly coming into season (she wouldn't leave our late gelded TB alone) but about 9 weeks ago she had to have an operation to remove a sizeable bone chip from her near fore and has been on box rest since. Could this be the reason why she's not cycling?

Any experiences gratefully received!

Home made blackcurrant and cassis ice cream on offer for those who've got this far! Lol.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I don't give any of my own mares shots for anything breeding-wise and they all cycle well and consistently the same each cycle however there are some other broodmares who I breed for owners who do have pg shots and hcg etc etc and those mares I've found to be very inconsistent and cost their owners more as there's always some hiccup or extra scans needed as the shots don't always work. Not sure if that helps you any but thought I'd mention the differences I've noticed breeding a few mares who are managed completely differently :)

Cluny

Visit site
Spring Feather, thank you, that is helpful. My mare was cycling regularly and obviously before the op, but I think that combined with the box rest has not helped.

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
One mare I had simply didn't ovulate when short-cycled (given prostaglandin). Had to go with her natural cycle and took first time every time.

crellow4

Visit site
I'm having a similar problem. My mare cycled normally and we missed her, vet PG'd after 5 days - nothing. PG'd again 5 days later - still nothing. Without intervention she 'should' have ovulated at the weekend, instead he's sitting with a 2.8 follicle and has been for 12 day. Considering a course of regumate to kick start her.

Cluny

Visit site
Ginnieredwings I'm wondering if thats where we'll end up!

Crellow4 - I feel your pain, it's so frustrating isn't it! Please let me know how you get on.

ribbons

Visit site
Why did your vet jump straight in with PG before even looking at her own natural cycle.
I never jab mine anymore, having against my own judgement followed expert advise in the past
and ended up with very expensive failures.
Try leaving your mare to her own cycle pattern and see how that progresses before artificial interference.
They're all different I guess but I wouldn't start looking into controlling her seasons until I had evidence it was necessary.

Spanny

Visit site
Did she definitely get enough natural light while she was on box rest? If not, I suppose it's possible she has gone into seasonal anoestrus, in which case plenty of exposure to the normal day-night pattern should get her cycling again.

The caveat is that I'm just speculating!