*following golden oldies post* horses dying soon after retirement...

abracadabra

Visit site
reading that post there are a number of horses/ponies mentioned that soon after retirement have died...

maybe this is because they were going to have died anyway and thats why they were retiired, (ie failing fast, feeling their age) or because they had retired they went downhill due to boredom, feeling abandoned/useless etc...

what do you think?

chicken or egg...egg or chicken?

Dopeonarope

Visit site
How do you retire a horse? As long as they are not in pain they should be exercised and kept mobil ... if they are in pain they should be put down.

My last lad died aged 31, blind on one eye, half blind on the other ... still being ridden 3 - 4 x a week in slow to medium work. He just passed away one night in his box. I don't think he would have lived any longer if we hadn't kept exercising him. In fact, I think he would have probably died a lot earlier.

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
I retired my horse at the grand old age of 28 last year, and to be honest he has really taken to it. There is nothing physically wrong with him (albeit a little bit stiff sometimes)
But he has really taken to his retirement and enjoys being out 24/7 with the rest of the golden oldie gang. I agree some horses don't take to it well. But my boy loves it, infact he has almost disowned me and prefers to be in the field, runs off even when i bring treats down to visit him.

abracadabra

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How do you retire a horse?

[/ QUOTE ]

present them with a carriage clock, many thanks for their hard work over the years, and put them out to pasture
smile.gif

my chiro says my veteran is in the good shape he's in because of consistent work and keeping him mobile and limber
wink.gif

Pancakes

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How do you retire a horse? As long as they are not in pain they should be exercised and kept mobil ... if they are in pain they should be put down.

[/ QUOTE ]
one of my horses is retired as he is unable to be ridden becuase he cant carry any weight on his back, however this does not hinder his quality of life he is a great companion and my lil cousin loves coming down to groom him and take him on walks in hand.
smile.gif
i do not believe a horse looses it quality of life if not in work
blush.gif

Alibear

Visit site
My horse is actually thriving in retirement, since all 4 legs have problems being ridden was no longer an option. We wondered how he'd take to the change from being a competition horse in full work to being retired so we staggered it with the first 12 months him still being on the main yard , turned out in his normal small paddock in the day then in at night, then the next spring we turned him out with two buddies who were already settled in the 24/7 live out routine and he's thrived ever since.
He's wintering better like this than he ever did when in work.
As ever all horses are individuals and there's no one way that suits them all.

fatpiggy

Visit site
If I show my retired mare (26, retired 2 years) a headcollar after she has come up from the field for her breakfast or tea, she finds an excuse to make herself scarce. I think that says it all. She loves being a lady of leisure and has more than earned it.

Marchtime

Visit site
Both of mine are now retired. Tally retired aged 21yrs old. She'd come back from her loan home as she was misbehaving. I'd out grown her (she's only 14hh) and didn't have the time to spend re-schooling her. She's too much of a handful for children apparently and I couldn't face putting her back out on loan. She's been retired for three years now very happily. This winter was the first time she's showed her age but she still looks well and happy. She earnt her retirement and when her times comes I know she had a happy few years being a proper pony.
Jesper retired earlier this year but he's only 10yrs old so I'll leave that story for another day!