Following on for the to oil or not to oil post

Irishcobs

Visit site
My horse, her tack and myself got absolutely drenched today so I have brought it home to dry out and clean.

I have Ko-cao-line, Naf leather soft soap or Nikwax waterproofing wax for leather.

Which do I use?

I normally use the soft soap for general cleaning and the ko-cao-line before hunting or a day I know my tack is going to get soaked but I'm not sure what would be best to use now.

Also I have these boots http://www.rideaway.co.uk/toggi-cal...purenet_feed&gclid=COSWxauSlrcCFXMctAodaxwAxQ

What can I get to reproof them? They leaked a bit today.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
You need new products :)

Allow tack to nearly dry out, very slowly. When still slightly damp use a good conditioner - I personally like Effax Lederbalsam, Stubben Hamanol, Leather Therapy Conditioner and Oakwood Conditioner. Saddle soap isn't actually a great cleanser at all, if you use it as such make sure you wip it all off, some of the dirt is still sitting there. If you need a full on cleanser then Effax Ledercombi is very good, plus it evens out the colour of leather, as it Leather Therapy cleanser.

Your NikWax protector might be useful before you go out and get muddy, but not sure it's really recommended for tack? These types of products are more often for shoes which are a slightly different type of leather.

Kocholine - I have yet to see an ingredients list so won't recommend it, the colour and smell is suspicious of it containing solvents, distillates etc. I MIGHT use it before storing tack as people seem to find it very good for that.

Spring Feather

Visit site
people who use Hamanol, a silly question: how on earth do you get it out of the tube?:eek:

If winter, put the tube in a warm room before use. If summer set the tube out in the sun for a little while before using. I use Hammamol for my English tack. For my western tack I use 100% pure neatsfoot oil.

khalswitz

Visit site
I use Carr, Day & Martin Leather Cleaner first, to take off all the grime, and then use their Leather Balsam to condition. I have to admit I use both of those on my boots after a comp before storage too, and then polish them before the next comp.

windand rain

Visit site
I clean mine with warm water and glycerine soap every few days then I oil it with neatfoot oil if it gets wet, before a show or if it has been in the sun in my car

3OldPonies

Visit site
Ko-cho-line is fine on the back of the leather as a deep treatment, or when going into store. Careful on the neatsfoot - it has it's uses especially when tack has had a good soaking, but again best applied to the back of the leather and not too often or your stitching will rot.

'Old fashioned' tack care stuff is still very valid, just as long as you make sure that you follow the 'old fashioned' rules for using it and wipe leather clean before soaping (don't apply if over the dirt), only use a little of the product, don't let it lather up and use plenty of elbow grease for rubbing it in well.

The modern stuff is also excellent, and invaluable if you have some of the newer leather to deal with that may need more care or if you are short of time. I dearly love the old way of doing things if I'm going showing, but day today I resort to tack wipes, and NAFs all in one leather cleanser and leather food!