Following on from 'dying breed' - are we all competing less?

Tinsel

Visit site
I’d agree with this too. I get much more enjoyment out of lessons. The only thing I miss is putting my show gear on.
Would you ever want to try competing again or have you officially finished with it now did you ever do comps when you were growing up at all? I did do riding lessons as a kid on 1 pony then when I went to boarding school I did lessons then at a riding school every second Wednesday I think. But I have done competing at a few different riding schools but not the current one yet but I am hoping to start competing again soon

JFTDWS

Visit site
The early mornings and the hanging around put me off too. I used to get up at stupid o'clock to wash my hairy cob's feathers for shows, but these days the prospect of more than a quick bath the day before puts me off! I prefer competitions with low turnout standards and no bloody mane plaiting (counter-intuitively, I don't mind tails :p).

I do a bit of TREC and will try to get out to some small SJ with my mare this summer - probably evening SJ to avoid an early start and huge classes. Also planning on taking my midget Daemon round some little xc to give a lead to a friend's horse, but I can't say the unaffiliated xc carnage appeals a great deal! I also like learning alternative horse sports more. No plans to compete in archery, I'm too useless!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We used to go out competing every week,mainly show jumping with the occasional bit of dressage. This would be in the spring summer time. Over the winter months we would still go out & do some arena eventing, no pressure on that at all & thoroughly enjoyed it. It also kept the horses fit & they enjoyed it as well. Main rider was my daughter. She is now in a relationship so we don't go out every week now more likely alternate weeks because it wouldn't be fair on her partner. The slack has been taken up by my wife, she's doing some dressage & will start doing some small jumping classes. This means that they'll be competing a little less each but me as the driver of the box will be still going full throttle out each week.

Some have mentioned the chore of cleaning tack before a show? My wife was a bridle stitcher by trade & believes that tack should be kept clean. It's expensive to guy so look after it. It doesn't matter if we are going to a show or horses are going on a hack or for a lesson the tack is always clean. If you give it a quick clean it's easy. It only gets difficult & a chore when it's left for ages & there is loads of muck on it. Keeping the horse groomed & tack clean shows respect for yourself & your horse.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Packing the lorry is the biggest chore for me! when I'm rich and famous I'm going to have a set of going-out tack that just lives on the lorry. There's almost always time to give it a wipe over after a class while waiting for results. I have got it all planned.... just waiting on the rich and famous bit :p

Chippers1

Visit site
I'm out competing most weekends, having only recently got transport it's a bit of a novelty still! It's also cheaper to pop round an SJ class than hiring an arena sometimes :D
I'm only at low level and my horse can be a bit of a pain and not jump if he decides that he doesn't want to so I've stopped viewing them as comps and just go to have fun, if we get placed it's a huge bonus and makes me very proud we manage to!

HBB

Visit site
I used to go out showing & dressage nearly every weekend. Shows have got so expensive and it also irritates me that I have to pay for memberships on top of entry fee's for local agricultural shows which are poorly attended, chaotic, poor choice of judges and don't offer qualifiers. The hanging about for classes is draining, so we went down the dressage route but even that has got ridiculously expensive and even more hanging about for classes and sheets. I do enjoy my lessons and clinics and can see myself doing them more frequently in the future.

AUB

Visit site
I've always been very competitive. I took a 7 year break when I was studying and then started riding again. I'm ambitious, I have a very talented horse, I take lessons with a grand prix rider and attend clinics and I do want to get as far as possible, but my focus is no longer on competitions - I just want to ride that grand prix at home on a rainy november tuesday! It's not that I'm sick of competing, I'm just not that focussed on getting a ribbon anymore. I want to be the best possible rider that I can be, so I guess my competition is more with myself these days.

Fanatical

Visit site
I'm going to go against the grain and say it's all about the competing for me - it always has been. I couldn't do it without having the goals/ ambitions of competing. Having said that I have had a tough time with them (as we all do in fits and starts) over the last few years and haven't competed properly for 3 years. It's still very much the aim though and what i am working towards every day.

humblepie

Visit site
With my show jumper in the 80s/90s yes used to go out pretty much every weekend, then with my county level show horse did the leaving at 4am quite often. Now I compete a fair bit a mixture of dressage and showing but am concious not to overdo the competing with this horse so we essentially go to get the qualifications, then go to the finals with possibly a practice run somewhere in the middle. My main thing is the cost of entry fees and no refunds/carrying forward if for a genuine reason you cannot go - even with a normal BD comp being £50 for two elementaries, that is a lot of money. My horse was ill over Easter and had to withdraw, centre didn't even bother to reply to my asking if I could carry perhaps one of the entries over so they are off my list of places to go to. A polite I hope your horse gets better and no sorry would have done but no reply just rude! I don't expect them to be working for nothing but it was a totally genuine case. Similarly I was ill when it was the BD associate championships last year so lost x £37 entry fees, stabling etc. Again totally genuine illness and signed off work. Also cross on the showing front for several reasons and had done a long rant but deleted it as too ranty!

Alibear

Visit site
I just like getting out and learning and I find I can do that both in clinics and at shows. I have goal to compete in the breed society show one day, I had the chance but stupidly didn't think we were ready and now that chance has gone. So I'm working harder than ever to get back to that point in a few years time, much to hubby's chagrin as he thought I'd stop again. The thing is I didn't get to do it as a kid. I did a lot of competing just before I had my kids but that was just for 2 years so perhaps not long enough to have cured the bug? Also the shows I do now a days tend to last a long weekend which I enjoy as its less stress than trying to fit it all in one day and gives me the impression that its a holiday. I love competing I see it as a good way to measure how we are doing and I love clinics to try and improve that. I don't remember the clinics being as available when I was younger, it was either riding schools for lessons or have your own horse and compete? There definitely weren't all the horsey summer camps that have sprung up over the last few years. 20 years ago even the camp idea was one edition of Horse and Rider that listed training holidays with your horse. Personally I think its all great fun :)

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
I'm afraid for me it is age related and other life events. I have a lot less time, both me and horse are older and I am simply not driven in the way I used to be.

Being slightly lazy I always preferred to have a competition and goal to prepare for. That would make me get up in the early morning and school before breakfast, spend time and cantering and galloping to get him fit. I used to like the tack cleaning and preparation, although I found dressage very stressful, my main worry being remembering the test, not the test itself.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Used to love showing.

The Princess - despite having the looks & confirmation to do well - just does not have the temperament as she's an extremely stressy one person horse.

Initially I was disappointed that I wouldn't have the opportunity to show her off but after having been to a couple of shows lately and having seen some questionable judging decisions - including horses pulled in for places who have seriously misbehaved (one cob reared 4 times in the ring at a show last month & got 3rd 🤯) I now remember the bits I really didn't like.

Like a pp said I do miss the dressing up though

BOWS28

Visit site
I feel so guilty for losing the love for competing... my horses have always loved being out and about! I just don't get the pleasure out of it anymore
I love the day to day loving of my horses and wouldn't care less if i never competed again!!

SpottyMare

Visit site
but after having been to a couple of shows lately and having seen some questionable judging decisions - including horses pulled in for places who have seriously misbehaved (one cob reared 4 times in the ring at a show last month & got 3rd 🤯) I now remember the bits I really didn't like

I got put off showing - probably a bit too easily, but I was only really using it to get the horse used to being taken out and about, and it was a lot of effort to put in for someone's opinion. Especially once I knew the horse was pretty chilled about being out. I'll probably try jumping when we're ready, as the pole is either up or down so it's not subjective. I just love having the horses around though. To me, they're large pets :)

A couple of years ago my horse was pulled in second to a horse that the judge hadn't even seen trot up as she'd spent most of the time on two legs and trying to bite the handler. I was only there for education purposes, so (genuinely!) wasn't too bothered, until the judge said to me 'you have every right to feel aggrieved as your horse was so beautifully behaved'! It seemed like such an odd thing to say. She had asked me why my horse wasn't plaited (rules said didn't have to) so don't know if it was that, or if my horse is just a malformed donkey... I love her anyway :p :D

HBB

Visit site
A couple of years ago my horse was pulled in second to a horse that the judge hadn't even seen trot up as she'd spent most of the time on two legs and trying to bite the handler. I was only there for education purposes, so (genuinely!) wasn't too bothered, until the judge said to me 'you have every right to feel aggrieved as your horse was so beautifully behaved'! It seemed like such an odd thing to say.

Not odd at all, it was probably "decided" long before you went in to the ring who the winner was, sadly that's showing for you.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I feel just as you've described. I thought it was just me!

I use to be out competing, only unaffiliated but it was still a lot of hassle and a all day thing... I only just mentioned to a friend on the weekend how I now find I prefer to just box for a hack somewhere new, box to the beach.. or go to a riding club rally. You can get on, without hanging about.. specially when you have a jam packed life its nice not to spend every minute of the weekend waiting for your next class, or the hours waiting between dressage and jumping.

It also seems everything costs a lot more than 5 years ago when I was getting out most weekends!

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I compete less than I used to. I used to be out every weekend sometimes twice but now locally you know who's going to win what classes by who's in the car park or which show it is. It puts me off lots of our local shows especially with the local m&m associations.
I've been going further afield but without having a really good ridden I haven't had the inclination

Annagain

Visit site
I've never been massively into competing - we do some local riding club stuff and we did the teams occasionally when the horses were younger but I definitely do a lot less now, mainly as they're both 23 but also as I can't be bothered - particularly with the getting them clean (they're both grey). I'm on the look out for a new horse so hopefully once I get him and I don't have to scrub (he will not be grey) my mojo will return and we'll be out more. The only problem is I've ended up doing lots of organising while I've not been competing and I now feel guilty if I compete rather than helping out. Which is daft as nobody else does! I do really enjoy clinics and camps though and I can organise them AND take part so it's a win win!

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
[QUOTE A couple of years ago my horse was pulled in second to a horse that the judge hadn't even seen trot up as she'd spent most of the time on two legs and trying to bite the handler. I was only there for education purposes, so (genuinely!) wasn't too bothered, until the judge said to me 'you have every right to feel aggrieved as your horse was so beautifully behaved'! It seemed like such an odd thing to say. She had asked me why my horse wasn't plaited (rules said didn't have to) so don't know if it was that, or if my horse is just a malformed donkey... I love her anyway :p:D[/QUOTE]

I did a veteran class last year - which is supposed to be judged on condition for age and freedom of movement. I got pulled in 2nd behind a very smart but very fat cob 4 years younger than my boy. The judge said to the rider, "He's got massive BMI issues and it's affecting his movement you really need to get some weight off him". Then she came to me and said, "It's so lovely to see a horse his age and of his size in such excellent condition and moving so freely. You're obviously doing an excellent job of caring for him." I was a little confused to say the least! I can only assume I rode terribly and our show wasn't as good. The cob's was immaculate in terms of behaviour and obedience to be fair but I thought he was stuffy and a bit shuffley.

Denbob

Visit site
Having never been in a position to compete, it was always "The Goal" to be able to go out and win lots of rosettes and show off my lovely horse. Now I've got a (mostly) lovely horse the idea of it is much less appealing. I'd much rather go out to a clinic or a lesson, or even just arena hire to do something a bit different - if I can ever afford transport that is!

I'll probably aim to do a few with friends, just for experience for both of us, and might find the bug comes back but otherwise the stress and financial element is enough to preemptively dissuade me from aiming for too much.

Reactions: TPO

Sasana Skye

Visit site
It is by far better value for money to not compete and have lessons/fun stuff. At one of my local xc venues it's £19.50 to enter a hunter trial, plus £1.50 booking fee, plus £4 first aid on the day, wait around for your time if you're lucky enough to be given one then you get about 5 minutes of fun time and can only jump the set course and MAYBE win a rosette worth £1...or you could hire the xc course when it suits you and pop around whatever jumps you like however many times you like for up to 2 hours for £26.50. No brainer!

I've never been someone that's hugely into competing I do prefer the training side. I probably only compete 10-15 times a year, the rest is boxing for hacks, lessons, course or arena hire. All of which has become easier and more regular now that I can take myself rather than have to ask my parents to tow me.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
We've only just got up & running really after numerous set backs.
Its our first experience of BE - yes its costly but all the stewards have been so incredibly friendly & helpful, the times are always spot on, the arenas massive, the ground fabulous.
We have hogged our cob so no wretched plaiting up, tack is always clean so just a quick wipe, lorry is loaded with most things.
So at the moment have finally started enjoying the experience.
I think its about learning where you want to be as we have also tried showjumping - just don't like as find warm up arena awful & riding questionable, showing we didn't get it really, pony club is great fun but given daughters age slightly lost its appeal for her.
So for us we love the fact we are creating a story/history with our horse - we get to bring home a test sheet to try & improve on - get to do all 3 phases of fun - for us its what its all about - plus you even get to see some of your heroes!

Tarragon

Visit site
As a confirmed very happy "Happy Hacker" I can say that I never wanted to compete. Which would I rather do.... spend hours pre-show prepping and polishing, up early and drive to show, then spend hours hanging around for 5 minutes in ring OR tack up and ride for as long as i like, where i like and nobody cares what we do or look like. However, the highlights of my year are the annual breed show, where I go either with or without a pony, and a pony camp that I help organise at the end of the summer. I do need to have at least these fixtures to get me to focus and for something to work towards.
I would love to have more lessons as the more I learn the more I realise I don't know and the more I want to know - but seriously though, how do you lot manage to afford all those lessons??? One lesson for the hour costs me more than it does to keep my pony at DIY livery for a week inclusive of ALL costs.

Reactions: TPO

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I got a new horse last year to do more with including competing but so far have done little more than I could do with my veteran. I can’t mostly be bothered to even school. However lack of transport is the big blocker for me and although I’ve been looking I’m not sure I can really afford it. I can’t see the point of schooling loads if I’m not going to do anything with it. Also I don’t have an instructor at the moment and I’m having a job deciding who I want. My old dressage instructor is just too expensive now. Without that focus I may as well just enjoy hacking and slowly building a partnership.

Annagain

Visit site
As a confirmed very happy "Happy Hacker" I can say that I never wanted to compete. Which would I rather do.... spend hours pre-show prepping and polishing, up early and drive to show, then spend hours hanging around for 5 minutes in ring OR tack up and ride for as long as i like, where i like and nobody cares what we do or look like. However, the highlights of my year are the annual breed show, where I go either with or without a pony, and a pony camp that I help organise at the end of the summer. I do need to have at least these fixtures to get me to focus and for something to work towards.
I would love to have more lessons as the more I learn the more I realise I don't know and the more I want to know - but seriously though, how do you lot manage to afford all those lessons??? One lesson for the hour costs me more than it does to keep my pony at DIY livery for a week inclusive of ALL costs.

Riding Club. A group lesson once a fortnight costs me £15 - and it's a nice social occasion too. I do the odd more intense clinic too for about £25.

Visit site

I cant remember the last time I had a riding lesson! Probably 1996/7-ish when I was riding for someone else age 8/9. I have backed, schooled and shown my own ponies as well as reschooled racehorses for showing and I have always done very well so I guess I'm doing everything right enough! I know i have bad habbits and I do address them every so often.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
ughhh scrimp and save on literally everything else. No children, no expenditure outside of horses & basic groceries. I work from home so don't even have to buy a work wardrobe! I get some lessons for christmas/birthday too.

Tarragon

Visit site
Riding Club. A group lesson once a fortnight costs me £15 - and it's a nice social occasion too. I do the odd more intense clinic too for about £25.
We do have a good local riding club but working full time gets in the way. Give me a few more years before I can retire and enjoy leisurely lessons at ten am on a Monday morning

Leo Walker

Visit site
I am desperate to get the pony out but am currently transportless. Its making me lose interest in driving a bit. I feel so aimless. Im trying to work out how I am getting the transport back on the road again as I need that focus.