Following on from Fondest Childhood Memory

skewbaldpony

Visit site
I noticed a lot of us named people - the teachers, trainers, dealers, in the good old days, who gave us so much, and passed on so much.

Thought it might be a nice idea to name them here, and see if we share any (or if any of them are still with us, and known to other HHOers!)

So I'll start, but it will have to be two!

Miss Whitfield, of the legendary Fen End Children's Riding School - who took my mother aside and told her that those elephant ear jodhs from the second hand really would not do, for an 8 year old!

and above all, The Hon William ('Mr Bill') Leigh, at Stoneleigh Abbey - the most amazing riding school, I look back now and realise I spent half my childhood in a Pullein Thompson novel!

Who are your real life childhood heroes?

Tnavas

Visit site
Sylvia Bunney of Brawlings Farm, she let me loose on her horses when they were broken - I loved fixing them! Also taught me all I know about showing.

Maureen Newell who gave us fantastic dressage lessons

Pat Smallwood of Radnage House, for teaching me so much and believing in me when my own confidence was lacking.

Jennie Lorriston Clarke for giving me the opportunity of working for her for a while.

Clare Morrison for helping me finally find that elusive contact so that I could work the horse on the bit.

Jim Randall, Chesham for letting me ride one of his ponies to shows.

siennamum

Visit site
Ann Maxwell, who was master of the pytchley and DC of the PC, She basically bossed me about unmercifully but also had forgotten more than most people will ever know about 'old fashioned' but correct horsemanship - although I was often a great disappointment to her
blush.gif

Jo Knowles, as above really.

Lady Mary Williams, who was my SJ trainer and was/is quite brilliant.

Jonny Wrathall senior & junior, PC SJing

ladyearl

vvv
May and Ian Neilson

She allowed her farm to become overrun with us silly kids. She gave us the feedom and space and guidance to grow and learn about our horses. Factually, I think she was quite strict with us but in reality I don't remember feeling it. She started a riding school and taught me to ride!

He allowed his dairy farm to become our heaven!

I think they moved to Wales and I don't have any contact with them now but I will always remember them.

kerilli

Visit site
May Thompson of Top Farm Riding Stables, Great Doddington,for sticking me on all the naughty ponies most of the time, but letting me ride my absolute favourite pony ever in my first show, and for putting me on the lunge for 6 months when I was a cocky little kid.
Tbh she'd probably do the same if she could see me now...!

help1

Visit site
Two for me

Carol Broad from Huntley who taught me how to ride properly after years of galloping about on my ponies hunting etc. She used to have a particularly descriptive line for one of ours he did the most amazing 'collected creep'

And Derrick Watts who taught me how to show jump properly gave me bags of confidence and a true respect of grids!!