Following on from heavy husband horse question

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Does anyone want to give me their thoughts on Tommy?

https://www.horsequest.co.uk/yard/S...1tJr4jWaZZDbf7lvulzNZRZFYj82JRkIeP_ngtZtDBoGA

Ref #234435

Husband is 6’2 and 16-17 stone, dependent on how much cycling he’s doing versus how much gym he’s doing. He’s quite fit but he’s very broad. He rides lightly, is nicely balanced and has very gentle hands.

I had wanted to spend circa £5k so this would be well above budget but the market is mad right now.

Horse would only need to hack.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
He’s lovely, but I don’t think a big heavy cob is what you wanted, so it would be a big compromise, wouldn’t it? Also, speaking to my farrier, he says heavies always end up with issues-mine has serious arthritis in both hocks and was retired last year at 17. Don’t know how true it is, but I don’t think a coloured cob is what you were after and not really a gelding, either? For that kind of cash, I’d want exactly what I set out to get.

Also, do you have stables? All that feather in winter and what if he gets mallenders/sallenders/mud fever? How will you treat it? Sorry to be a voice of gloom, but I don’t think he’s anything like you wanted and how do they justify £8.5K for a 4 year old unproven cob?! Just because he’s safe? He’s nice, but wow!

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He looks fine for what you are wanting him to do but expensive. I saw a Clydesdale X mare recently on DD who would also have done the job for about half the price. She soon went, so I assume that she was sound and sold for about the asking price. I really think there will be plenty of horses available in a couple of months.

ETA, having had several heavy horses, I wouldn't say that arthritis is inevitable in fact the 2 that we have had with it have been much lighter build - 1 x Appaloosa and 1x TBxWelsh - neither of them would have carried your OH for long. There is a TB X Clydesdale mare on Horsemart atm which might be worth a look - sorry I can't remember the price, or location.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
ETA, having had several heavy horses, I wouldn't say that arthritis is inevitable in fact the 2 that we have had with it have been much lighter build - 1 x Appaloosa and 1x TBxWelsh - neither of them would have carried your OH for long.

Maybe I’m just unlucky ? To be fair, mine had a field injury on one leg which I think was the start of the arthritis on one hock.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Nice but over priced like a lot that is around at the moment, my friend is looking as well at the moment and the prices for some are just silly, I think I would just wait I have told her the same.

I think in your position if your willing to spend that much money I would go for an ID all day long.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Maybe I’m just unlucky ? To be fair, mine had a field injury on one leg which I think was the start of the arthritis on one hock.

Ah yes, that probably was the start. I have a human friend who tumbled off a step-ladder putting up her curtains and is now waiting for a new hip.
My farrier did say that I had done well to keep the Westphalian Draft mare to 23 because of her size but it was PPID that caused her demise.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
You’re all right, I should hold out. I think I’m becoming mildly desperate.

I had such great visions of having a hacking partner to go out with Mim and I... but, we will still be in need of a horse come winter and I’m sure there will be plenty of people with a lockdown project that is no longer so appealing.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Does anyone want to give me their thoughts on Tommy?

https://www.horsequest.co.uk/yard/S...1tJr4jWaZZDbf7lvulzNZRZFYj82JRkIeP_ngtZtDBoGA

Ref #234435

Husband is 6’2 and 16-17 stone, dependent on how much cycling he’s doing versus how much gym he’s doing. He’s quite fit but he’s very broad. He rides lightly, is nicely balanced and has very gentle hands.

I had wanted to spend circa £5k so this would be well above budget but the market is mad right now.

Horse would only need to hack.

Expensive badly conformed moose.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
how about a reg clydesdale, 17.2 9 years gelding. £5500. mjl equestrian in kent , know nothing about the dealer . is on www.adhorse.co.uk

or, on preloved shire/tb 17 h 13 years mare £6750 o.n.o. sounds nice in westbury,wiltshire. sorry i am a technophobe and dont know how to link the ad

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He is nice- but I see what you mean about the sales pitch. Quite... persuasive...

Why is Rodney being sold by a dealer if he is so perfect. Advert clearly showing T for trade. Rodney is very lean for his type and is very upright through the forelimb, and has an impressive CV for such a young hors that would not be fully mature yet.

EventingMum

Visit site
Prices are ridiculous at the moment, I have been hunting for a new big school horse for a couple of months and wasn't finding anything suitable despite having doubled my budget - not counting the one I agreed to buy but on getting home after a 5 hour round trip the seller decided she couldn't bear to sell! Eventually, I found one and got a successful vetting done today and he's miraculously only £1k over my original budget. OP you may find prices stabilise towards Autumn when people start to think about keeping them over the winter. I would also be wary of buying something to young as a weigh carrier, I would personally look for something that's finished growing and fill out properly.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Alternatively, since the dog/ horse market seems to indicates that people are willing to buy anything at the moment... what do you think I could get for:

Mid thirties, 18hh, sound, no vices. Excellent companion. Quite forward going and needs a lot of exercise. Allergic to cats.

If I could switch out the husband, I may not find it so difficult to find a horse.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
how about a reg clydesdale, 17.2 9 years gelding. £5500. mjl equestrian in kent , know nothing about the dealer . is on www.adhorse.co.uk

or, on preloved shire/tb 17 h 13 years mare £6750 o.n.o. sounds nice in westbury,wiltshire. sorry i am a technophobe and dont know how to link the ad

I think that's the one I saw, I remember Westbury, I had obviously mixed up Shire and Clydesdale. There are a few horses in Westbury so I assume she is being sold by a dealer

jnb

Visit site
IMO he looks weak behind the saddle; a bit of good grub and less work and he might be less of a "saint" & that's a lot of horse to tank if it wants to.
Does nothing for me & a lot of money for what he is. (you could buy a decent quality show cob or heavyweight hunter for that money that's got the T shirt)

IrishMilo

Visit site
I don't like Tommy for the reasons others have already said. I like Rodney but there's no way in hell I'd give Kate Thurston money, despite the fact she's actually a very honest seller. World's gone mad with these prices for big cart horses... wait 5 months and you'll get a bargain.

Annagain

Visit site
He's not my kind of horse but I do know someone who bought from them - he's exactly what they said he was so wouldn't hesitate to look at their horses if I was in the market

Yes I went to see 2 with them when I was looking. They weren't quite right for me but were as described and she came across as very honest.

I think he is very overpriced though, a lot more than the two I saw with her this time last year and more than I've just paid for Charlie who is a year older and (in my opinion) has more quality, so she's obviously testing the market.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
. (you could buy a decent quality show cob or heavyweight hunter for that money that's got the T shirt)

Sadly you can't, the last 2 made horses sold, a maxi cob went for 20k and the HW for 18k. A quality 4 year old blank canvas is fetching 8k plus at the moment. (proper horses, not cow coloured yaks)