Following on from 'how many rugs' post

molly7886

Visit site
I'm probably showing my age now.. but does anyone else on here remember the 'good old days' when New Zealand rugs came in bright grren canvas with a blanket lining & stable rugs were made of jute, also with blanket linings (which you'd put on inside out if pony was still wet from being naked in rain). Sweat rugs were like your grandads string vest! There was no variation in weights/colours/neck covers. Those were the days when horses were waterproof & survived the British winter time without the wonders of modern fabrics & velcro!!!

Natalie_H

Visit site
I remember! The one of ours I remember in particular had a surcingle with it - coloured blanket underneath. First thing you did when you got to the yard was grab onto the corner, and tug it down to straighten it. Then when you left an hour later, you had to do it again. Those were the days! Used to spend a fair amount of time sticking sheepskin to the bits that rubbed. I must admit - the new ones are better - but I love a bit of nostalgia
smile.gif

L

lilym

yes i remember them all!!! remember on freezing mornings when changing your jute stable for your NZ only to find the NZ frozen like a sheet of metal??!!! And who remembers those supposed "non slip" green canvas jobs!!?? Neck covers were unheard of, and you had great big leather rollers to hold the thing in place!
Anyone remember "spider" straps - they never did catch on did they? And remember the really posh people having Lavenham stable quilts??

molly7886

Visit site
Don't get me wrong my boy now has several weights of indoor/outdoor attire, mostly all colour co-ordinated, but it makes me chuckle to think how we pamper our horses now compared to what we had when I was a kid, yet the ponies just got on with life! We always bandaged then too...no neoprevn & velcro short cuts (God, I'm old!)

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
My mum still has my old hat with an elasticated chin strap, I wore it until it no longer actualy went over my head -just sort of sat on top like a policemans helmet, not sure why she hasnt thrown it away

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
About 20 years ago
blush.gif
when i had my ponies i remember they had one turnout, and one stable and a sweat rug. That was it. I think i had a blanket type one to go under the stable rug when ponies were clipped. I also remember my mum buying a lovely new turnout rug and the lady that turned out the ponies in the morn, put it on another pony and it got ripped, i was gutted
frown.gif
grin.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
Those rugs with the straps that went from the back to the front threading through rings were very old style. My yard had loads of really old rugs around but all have no been upgraded, there was on rug that looked like a potato sack with straps hard to explain
tongue.gif

rockysmum

Visit site
My mother refused to shop with me when I used to go into Oxfam and buy blankets to go under the old jute rugs LOL

And making it all stay in place without cross surcingales was a real art

flowerlady

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong my boy now has several weights of indoor/outdoor attire, mostly all colour co-ordinated, but it makes me chuckle to think how we pamper our horses now compared to what we had when I was a kid, yet the ponies just got on with life! We always bandaged then too...no neoprevn & velcro short cuts (God, I'm old!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I remember, but horses didn't live as long and not many people shod their horses, hoofs in a lot better condition than they seem to be these days. Then again horses temperaments were better too not such flighty things. Those were the days
grin.gif
grin.gif
blush.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

molly7886

Visit site
Those 'very old style' rugs with the straps going from back to front are the 'Chaskit' ones I refered to which were new & trendy when I was a kid!! The ones that look like potato sacks were jute stable rugs which are the only indoor rugs horses had back then (unless you were very posh & had quilted Lavenham rugs who also made a co-ordinating jacket to go with your headscarf!!)

Doris68

Visit site
Aaah - those memories!! My little TB lived out in one of those green jobs and had an old railway truck (not the correct word - but it's a bit too late for me to remember the name...!) for his overnight accommodation.

He never had anything else, rug-wise, and I still smirk at the stuff my old girl has now....cotton sheets, fly rug, lightweight breathable rug, lightweight stable rug, heavy weight stable rug....and so it goes on and on and on........................

Those were the days eh??
grin.gif

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
oo yes-spider leg straps. Wasn't it 'chaskit' rugs that had them which were the cutting edge of turn out rugs at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I had one of them for my 2nd pony. Actually it wasn't a bad rug even by todays standards, although the fastenings were rather fiddly.
crazy.gif
Better than the old canvas things though, much lighter. I only threw out my last canvas rug last year
shocked.gif

guido16

Visit site
Spider straps!! ha ha, they were a bl**dy mightmare on dark winter evenings and had to laugh at the comment of how they would actually freeze, they used to stand up on their own!!
grin.gif

Mind you, loved the jute rugs, they were so cosy...

NZ only really came in green, occasionally you would find a blue one!

AND, have to say, they lasted longer. these days the material really does rip a lot easier......god, now I feel old..
crazy.gif

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
think you all need to join our clique,.....see below

who can still remember how to thatch?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to thatch my first pony but I was never sure how effective it was. She was never clipped so seemed to take ages to dry, whatever I did
confused.gif

SuzySue

Visit site
Yep, I remember all of these. I had about 10 years of being out of the horsey scene although I still had horses but they lived out at grass and I continued using the rugs I already had, and kept getting them repaired! Then I bought a new horse 3 years ago and got "proper horsey" again! He came with nothing so we went shopping for him and I discovered how the rugs are today! OMG! Lightweight, easy to fasten, relatively cheap. I had just had a canvas one repaired for other horse which cost around £40, then discovered I could have bought him a new one for that money, which I did cos it had also shrunk in the wash!! Hey ho. My old boy used to have a proper double duvet on under his stable rug - snug as a bug in a rug! I still have at least 2 of the old sweat rugs
smile.gif

Doris68

Visit site
Yup - I think we should definitely form a club! However, I daren't ask how much it cost to have your horse shod "waybackwhen".................or should I?
crazy.gif

Watch this space!

guido16

Visit site
and remember the old "string" girths. God they were awful...

Plus the hoof picks with a horses head on the handle.....goodness this thread has got me thinking of the past!

Doris68

Visit site
...don't get me started. The white rope halters..... as well as the white string girths! I had a sheepskin numnah (cut to shape by my Dad) and tack that I bought from some very smart people up the lane! Enough I think, unless you know more..??
grin.gif

rockysmum

Visit site
How about heating Kaolin for poulticing, stockholm tar, tack that came light coloured and you had to clean and oil it for ages to get the proper colour, baggy jods, long riding macs with metal vents under the armholes, hats with no harness just an elastic strap

God I could go on all night

hoggedmane

Visit site
I remember the excitement ordering my first rug when I was about 18. Ponies always lived out unrugged then! It was a (bright green) Greenham canvas rug and was self righting! It weighed a tonne when wet. I used to roll a towel from both sides to stop the surcingle putting pressure on her back when putting her jute rug on at night. If it was really cold she had a blanket under (from a jumble sale) I used to turn it inside out and stuff straw under when she was wet!.

We used to use bandages when travelling with gamgee pads under. No one I knew ever used boots on their horse except one very grand horse that had been to Olympia!

People of that era do you remember those white knee length riding coats? I have photos of me aged about 8 wearing one and always think what was my mum doing letting me have a white coat! (well it isn't very white in the photos).

marmalade76

Visit site
Cottage Craft girths - I've still got two, one red and one brown. They are still perfectly serviceable and the only reason they're not used is because they're too small for my horse and too big for my pony!
I still have a saddle I rode in when I was 13/14 (with said red or brown girth!) and my daughter will ride in it when she's bigger (providing it fits the pony, of couse!) It was old then, but in those days, only the wealthy had new saddles. My YO regularly tells the story of a local saddler who gave all his new saddles to his children to ride in to make them second hand as he simply could not sell new ones! People seem to replace their saddles with new ones every couple of years or so these days.
I also have at least four old style sweat rugs and still use them.

nicnag

Visit site
It's like we are describing the back corner of my tack room! I was so excited when I ordered my first Weatherbeeta rug, it was the blue and red one with the tartan lining! I'd only ever had canvas NZ before and this seemed so glamorous! Our entire yard ordered Polyproduct stable rugs that winter too, a sea of blue and red Stable rugs! I still use my string vest sweat rugs too!

Enfys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yup - I think we should definitely form a club! However, I daren't ask how much it cost to have your horse shod "waybackwhen".................or should I?
crazy.gif

Watch this space!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was paying 12 pounds a set in 1981 when I was 17, I particularly remember that because I had to pay it myself and only earned 33 pounds a week! Daddy always paid for them before I left school.