following on from my last post, what do we think to this lad?!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I'm trying to remember what I've heard about FEC.

I'd take a look at the horse but be cautious.

sarahann1

Visit site
No harm in going to see it though, if its not too far from you and you can afford a wasted trip.

Can you check teeth for age yourself etc, if not take someone with you who can.

Visit site
I've not read the dealer links however - what I would say is that a good horse can come from a bad dealer....

Not every horse upon arriving at a dealers yard will do a tendon, become 10 years "younger", etc etc

Whilst not ideal - I think go and see, get vetted, have bloods taken and checked for doping - teeth quickly looked over....

I read your thread yesterday and felt very sorry for you.

Some many comments on hear give idealistic views, where as with horses its never really so simple.

He looks like he would be easy to do, quite passive and wait patiently if you fell off nibbling your back !

That said maybe he's broken down with gastric ulcers, a wonky pelvis and is 9 years old

TrasaM

Visit site
What a nice big solid boy. I've ridden quite a few Irish cobs when trekking in Ireland and they've all been very nice to ride with good temperaments. The ones I've ridden have had somewhat bumpy canter action but had no problem getting them moving. The hunted in Ireland seems to be written on every horse advert I see on DoneDeal. :rolleyes: doesn't mean it actually did. Good luck with the search :)

quirky

Visit site
I have hunted in Ireland with the Galway Glasses. It was the equivalent to a hack up the fella here, nothing like the hunting I did with South Notts or Grove & Rufford.
Now I know I can't judge on one Irish outing but from what I have seen, it wouldn't worry me.

puss

Visit site
From my experience I wouldn't touch irish horse that's been hunted so young iv had one their legs have had it by ten sometimes earlier Iv got a few at my yard not one of them haven't had leg problems. As much as mine is my baby and I love him dearly I would never have got him if I knew how much damage his young riding career has cost him and me. IMO

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'm with puss. Mine was hunted aged 3 or 4 in Ireland, green as grass when I got him, showed first signs of discomfort at 9 in hock, now diagnosed with arthritis and it's unlikely he'll be doing much in the future.

Just because they're big lumps at a young age does not mean they should be banged around aged 3/4. :(

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
He looks like a part Clydesdale rather than true Irish Cob, no harm in that. Looks like a nice sort, and don't worry about the "hunted at 3" tag, many are but it's usually not like a full day out with the Galway Blazers, more a visit to the meet, move off and a couple of fields. Remember dealers would love to sell you a good horse, but most won't stop you buying a bad one.

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, sorry.

He's four, done far too much, he won't be bombproof and anyway, it's a dealer, how would they even know?
When the horse figures out that you are not as strong/forcefull/nasty as those he has in all liklihood had to deal with up till now, all that pent up fear will come out.

Somebody selling a 4yo they have had for a considerable length of time might be able to say they are bombproof because they have taken the time to produce that.

Also bit of an ugly brute IMO.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

He's four, done far too much, he won't be bombproof and anyway, it's a dealer, how would they even know?
When the horse figures out that you are not as strong/forcefull/nasty as those he has in all liklihood had to deal with up till now, all that pent up fear will come out.

Somebody selling a 4yo they have had for a considerable length of time might be able to say they are bombproof because they have taken the time to produce that.

That's a very negative opinion: dealers know as much about the horses they have for sale as they've been told by the previous owner, just like anyone else. How do you know what he has or hasn't done? And why would he necessarily have been ridden by strong/forceful/nasty people? He could just have easily been ridden by a sweet little granny who just likes to plod around. Go and see the horse, take someone knowledgeable if you are a novice, ask the right questions, if you like it get it vetted and judge for yourself.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

He is a furry common looking thing on the photo, but if you know what you are doing and can see under the fur and have the knowledge to school it and produce it an ugly fugly might turn into a smart cob. I took a punt on this Clyde x RID, no idea if it hunted as a 3 year old, but do know it came over at 4 and sold to novice home via a very well known cob dealer in the south. Took a year to get bolshy and back on the market. Twelve months with me and several sizeable slaps later, it is bombproof, kind and heading for the maxi cob classes followed by some cubbing.

Photo's are very misleading, you need to see it in the flesh and get hands on to make an informed opinion.

spacefaer

Visit site
He's still bum high so likely to 4. (and not yet finished growing) That type do tend to be laid back, temperament wise, and unlikely to make too much fuss about something spooky.

He's def part Clydesdale so could have a nice jump - cly x tend to.

Hunting in Ireland is nothing like over here. Most 3 yr olds will have been to the meet, hacked across a couple of fields and gone home. The whole hunting day is usually only 3-4 hours anyway and with most packs is more like a mass fun ride. Nothing like English hunting. .

sandi_84

Visit site
I really like this one, he's pretty good looking, a good age and I agree that in general most of the heavy types/ cobs are fairly laid back - although there are always the exceptions ;)

I'd definitely view this one taking along my own vet and, dependent on your own experience, an experienced person like an instructor.

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
He is a furry common looking thing on the photo, but if you know what you are doing and can see under the fur and have the knowledge to school it and produce it an ugly fugly might turn into a smart cob. I took a punt on this Clyde x RID, no idea if it hunted as a 3 year old, but do know it came over at 4 and sold to novice home via a very well known cob dealer in the south. Took a year to get bolshy and back on the market. Twelve months with me and several sizeable slaps later, it is bombproof, kind and heading for the maxi cob classes followed by some cubbing.

Photo's are very misleading, you need to see it in the flesh and get hands on to make an informed opinion.

I think you misunderstand the point I was trying to make, my bad.:)

Your experience kind of backs up what I was trying to say.
Horse is advertised as a bombproof ride, at 4, without being in the hands of the dealer for very long I would suspect..
So I assumed that was what the OP is looking for and in this instance nothing in the ad would persuade me to think that it was.

As for ugly, I did say IMO, and the horse smart or not, hasn't got a lot going for it in the looks department.
I totally agree with you that with work, care, experience, condition the horse will look a hundred times better.

But then if you know you can do that yourself, what would attract you to this ad in the first place?
Go for something rougher, done less and spend the money on the breeding/potential.

coralwings20

Visit site
thanx for all the comments guys :) ive just had a baby & moving house where there is alot of roadwork to get to hacking hence wanting a safer ride & selling my wb. im getting to old & dont bounce like i used to. looks dont matter to me as once ive built my school, will get myself a dressage horse again. also, not riding for a year & trying some crazy misdescribed horses has dented my confidence slightly.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
thanx for all the comments guys :) ive just had a baby & moving house where there is alot of roadwork to get to hacking hence wanting a safer ride & selling my wb. im getting to old & dont bounce like i used to. looks dont matter to me as once ive built my school, will get myself a dressage horse again. also, not riding for a year & trying some crazy misdescribed horses has dented my confidence slightly.
Then perhaps a 4 year old, of any description, is not what you really want?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Horse quest - 76847.

Older, private home for years, got the t shirt and if he is sound or manageable to keep sound, will give you at least 6 years of fun. £1200 would be my offer and the promise of a good home. I would ask for vet report on hocks and consider if you want to jump much there would be a chance his hocks would give out again. But if you want to hack out a few times a week on a safe easy going type he might fit your current needs.

Last edited: