Following on from nightmare start to BE season...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
You look great.

Thank you. We did 3 CCI* and an Intermediate, and she was awesome, would jump whatever was in front of her, but not what I would call 'fun' so I sold her. Sadly, she later turned out to have a cancerous ovary, so had a reason for not being calm. Vet did not spot it, sadly.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you. We did 3 CCI* and an Intermediate, and she was awesome, would jump whatever was in front of her, but not what I would call 'fun' so I sold her. Sadly, she later turned out to have a cancerous ovary, so had a reason for not being calm. Vet did not spot it, sadly.

Sounds like she wasn't the easiest but you did really well all the same, such a shame about the outcome for her:(

sportsmansB

Visit site
I had one who was sharp for dressage just because she wanted to get it over with to what came next. I'm lucky she was too much of a lady to express herself in buck - but once I cantered in the warmup she just went everywhere in canter (small canter, big canter, standstill canter, sideways canter, always canter). Unfortunately for her this also applied to lunging.
My solution was to leave her in the field the night before, hop up on her and go and mooch around the lorries and general area at a walk and sometimes a trot. Rarely near the warm up with other lively people. Then just go in and do the test. I could get one civilised canter on each rein and as long as there wasn't loads of extra stuff after the second canter I could keep a lid on her to get a second centre line. Once we did novice tests she got to canter the second centre line on occasion and she felt like it was Christmas :)
Could you lunge first and then just go up and in? You might need a spotter to tell you when the one before you is in, and report to call up that you are there but warming up elsewhere. Literally just trot up and round the arena when its your turn to go.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh bugger. Did you stay on? I hope you aren't hurt, he's a right handful, isn't he?

I don't know if you've been through all this already and I've missed it, and if so sorry, but I have a very similar picture of a horse doing the same in a dressage arena and he turned out to have kissing spines. He was fine at home but once you added the stress of a competition he couldn't cope. It might be something to consider?

Fragglerock

Visit site
My old boy was the same. I never did anything other than walk around the horsebox area to warm up. I was often last in the dressage because he was so explosive, but I felt safe as he never bucked or reared. But he would jump so if it was a difficult course I would come home with a rosette. He was a lovely horse to handle and as good as gold for me to take to places on my own. Although it took me a while I accepted what he was and he was my world.

Edited to add I had all sorts of checks done but he was the same at home, just very excitable and loved going fast. He was a glass half full type of horse and if there was anything going on he was involved - he was very good at minding everybody else's business and forgetting about what he should be doing. I tried all sorts of calmers and nothing worked.

Austen123

Visit site
i did everything i have been advised;
- kept him out over night
- fed him proKalm science supplements with the loading dose for 48 hours. gave him a syringe an hour before.
- lunged him when i arrived there
- only walk and trot transitions in the warm up for about 5/10 mins

Chuffy99

Visit site
Oh poor you, lovely though he is that’s not fun. Daughter used to get on our similar one and time to walk down and in, basically ok till first canter. I stood back one day and thought we’re having no fun, it’s stressful and we sold him to show jump. How would you advise you’re best friend, sell? Struggle on? He sounds like a pros horse that was too much effort even for them, take a step out and back and make a plan, please be careful with your own safety

skint1

Visit site
I really feel for you and hope you find the key to getting through it. I know you are very determined and I admire you for it, and if there is a way you will find it. In the meantime if he's better behaved at sj and dr why not stick to those for a while?

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would repeat what I said at first - park her with Dan, get a few weeks with events in (it is only 90cm so you could get one a week) until the whole thing seems less exciting.

If that does not work, or Podge starts to go worse not better on harder work, I would go down the vet route.

paddi22

Visit site
i used to have one that i had to load with calmers and then go straight into dressage with no warm up. i also currently have one that used to rear in the dressage a lot because he knew the xc was coming. the only solution was to hunter trial him a good bit at the start of the season so the novelty of xc wore off a bit by the time eventing season came around.

are there any competitions where the horse has been more relaxed? like is there a certain level of show that just sets it off or is is always on edge every time you bring it out?

pixie27

Visit site
Gosh that’s a big one.

My TB was like this, but everywhere. Bucks used to be that big and it would be a proper rodeo display. Was worse in the warm up than at home. My routine was - no hard feed minus a handful of chaff for his ulcer supplement, tacked up and lunged at home, lunged on arrival if possible, everything in a jump saddle with short stirrups and a neck strap, got on with the lunge line on, always had instructor or experienced friend with me, never did more than walk or trot in the warmup.

Sometimes worked, sometimes didn’t. All depended on his mood that day! I totally empathise with you, it’s such a horrible feeling. Sounds like going out with your instructor might help?

HeresHoping

Visit site
Oh bugger. Did you stay on? I hope you aren't hurt, he's a right handful, isn't he?

I don't know if you've been through all this already and I've missed it, and if so sorry, but I have a very similar picture of a horse doing the same in a dressage arena and he turned out to have kissing spines. He was fine at home but once you added the stress of a competition he couldn't cope. It might be something to consider?

Me too. Would be fine until a slightly more stressful situation and then he would bronk and bronk and bronk. I know this sounds drastic, but I would get his back x-rayed before going any further. I am afraid mine ended up in permanent pasture in the sky as he got more and more dangerous.

ycbm

Visit site
Just to help you realise that you aren't wasting a bill even if it only puts your mind at rest, this horse, at the time this photo was taken, was behaving perfectly at home. It was only in a dressage arena, where the transitions had to be spot on the marker and not when he felt ready, did he throw this stuff. He continued to behave fine at home for quite a while, and we put it down to competition stress. I was told by that dressage judge when she saw me in the cafe later that he needed a man on him. He actually had five impinging spinal processes under the back of the saddle, as you can see below.

ace120414b.jpgSPINE-Thoracic-05_09_2013-13_43_20-578.JPEG

mrmac

Visit site
I’ve been following this and was wondering what you’ve decided to do OP. It sounds like a bit of a nightmare

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
I don't really get it as in your other posts you mentioned he had done unaff 90/100 all season last year and been quiet as a lamb? If my horse started behaving like this having behaved well last year I'd definitely be getting a vet involved. Has there been any sort of incident since (horse ramming into you in warm up etc?)

Doesn't really matter how he was with the pro historically, clearly he has calmed down since then (last year) but now reverted back for whatever reason...

Reactions: TPO

G&T

Visit site
I'd also followed this thread, noticed this chap for sale on facebook yesterday if that answers your question mrmac

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I'd also followed this thread, noticed this chap for sale on facebook yesterday if that answers your question mrmac
I can't find the advert. I found one from 2017 (presumably when OP bought him) saying he was more suited to dressage so I guess his behaviour at an event might be why.

ycbm

Visit site

Ilovemorgan, if this is true, I can completely understand why you want this horse out of your life. I can also understand that provided you disclose the problems you have had with him you think that it will be fair on any buyer.

But I want, as gently as I can, to suggest that it is not fair on the horse to sell him until you have had him worked up by a vet who knows lack of performance issues in depth, and at least hock and spine x rays taken.

You know that a pro was able to persuade him to behave, but there are many skillful pros who can persuade horses which are in pain to behave, and your pro said he felt as if he might explode.

Please ask yourself how you will feel if the next owner is badly hurt, or if you later find out that your horse had arthritis or kissing spines, for example, and was trying to tell you that.

Austen123

Visit site
he had xrays of spine yesterday and all came back clear and can share with potential buyers, hence only going up for sale yesterday eve :(

and of course i am explaining the reason for sale :)

Austen123

Visit site
I was quite surprised the ad was on an eventing group as given the info in this thread it seems the horse is quite an unhappy boy at BE

i felt like that group had the widest coverage of members hence ad went on there. i also posted it on the British Dressage group too. although once this rain clears i do need to get some good flatwork pictures!

G&T

Visit site
i felt like that group had the widest coverage of members hence ad went on there. i also posted it on the British Dressage group too. although once this rain clears i do need to get some good flatwork pictures!

Fair enough! Glad you got his spine checked 😊 perhaps just finds the prospect of xc far too exciting then?

I would definitely put more flatwork pics as to me the ad reads like a lovely safe eventer. But if you’re filling people in over the phone then fair enough.

Attachments

• 1C8C6A50-658D-40F2-B554-C03B5478CF27.jpeg
    1C8C6A50-658D-40F2-B554-C03B5478CF27.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 442

ycbm

Visit site
he had xrays of spine yesterday and all came back clear and can share with potential buyers, hence only going up for sale yesterday eve :(

and of course i am explaining the reason for sale :)

That is very good to hear. I can understand why you are selling him. I hope you find him a good home quickly and can move on to a horse more suited to what you want to be doing.