Following on from PFs diagonals and leads question....

miamibear

Visit site
How many people always sit to change the diagonal? I sometimes rise, does anyone else?

As with the canter lead do people do (or attempt to do) flying changes to correct, or come back to trot or just change the rein?

Reason i ask is often i see kids down at our yard try to flying change when their pony obviously isnt strong enough or balanced enough to cope with one.

Just curious really!!

xx

truffles

Visit site
Chloe is still mastering the basics, and although she is taking it all in her stride, she isn't ready to do flying changes yet hehe - although I would love to do them one day!
smile.gif

I sit to change diagonals

JessPickle

Visit site
I always sit just because I was always taught that way. Cant do flying changes have never been taught how to so I go back to trot. I dont ride competitively do it doesnt really matter

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I sit to change diagonals.

I would LOVE to be able to do flying changes and I know Polly can do them cos she does them instinctively in the SJ arena... but if I try to ask in a flatwork session I get mega bucking and I lose my brakes! So i usually come back to trot and ask again.

HBII

Visit site
I sit to my trot change as that is what I have always been taught to do!

If I strike off the wrong lead in canter, I will come back to trot, re-balance and then go again. If you are on the wrong lead in the first place I would say you would be unbalanced why try to do a flying change, I would expect a disunited mess lol!

Gh

miamibear

Visit site
Just to confirm i would never rise to change diagonals in a competition environment just sometimes find it easier to do so at home, often have periods of standing up in stirrups in trot too, helps my balance

xx

RachelB

Visit site
I also sit to change diagonal.
My horse can barely canter yet so I come back to trot to change canter leads, but I ask immediately for the new canter so she gets the gist and hopefully one day we'll be able to change properly. We were however doing changes over our jumps yesterday, which really impressed me!

Kelly1982

Visit site
I sit to change the diagonal and i also bring back to trot and ask for the correct lead again. This is how i have always done it but also as my horse is only just learning flying changes so wouldn't be able to do it anyway

dieseldog

Visit site
I always rise - even in competions - nothing that says you can't. It's good with fizzy horses that think as soon as you sit in trot that they should canter. Also good for horses with big movement as it looks neater.

miamibear

Visit site
DD - my old horse had massive movement i could barely sit to him so thats why i started to rise! also he was hot headded and wanted to canter all the time and i agree it stops them hopping in to canter when not required!

xx

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I always sit to change diagonal but do most of my work in sitting trot anyway now.

Regarding canter leads it would depend if they have set off wrong or not. If my horse set off on the wrong lead, I'd bring back to trot and ask again because he has to realise when it's wrong - merely asking him to switch lead leg through a change wouldnt enforce this point. If Im wanting to change lead for another reason, I do so through a flying change

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I sit.
I've also taught PF and Ginger One to do flying changes but I don't ask PF to do them very often in schooling sessions as they can get her a bit excited. I practise them quite alot though with The GO as he's not as nifty on his feet. He used to be a bugger for going (and staying) disunited!!

frannieuk

Visit site
I sit for trot changes, and depends on which horse I'm riding and in which situation as to whether or not I ask for a flying change in canter.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
when i'm schooling i sit to change the diagonal but when i am out hacking i will quite often rise to change my diagonal.

mine cant, well has never been taught to do flying changes so they never. if the horse as stuck off on the wrong leg then it must have been unbalanced so should come back to trot, regain balance, then strike off again.

k9h

Visit site
Depends on the horse I am riding!
ALL horse's/ponies can do flying changes you watch a foal flying around in a field. What they may not know is the aid we are giving to them what it means.

ladylisa

Visit site
I always sit to change the diagonal.
And for canter it depends on what mood my horse is in, if she's listening the i will go for a flying change, if she is rushing into canter then i will bring her back to trot amd start again.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I sometimes rise to change diagonal in trot, depends how I'm feeling at the time!

Axel very rarely strikes off on the wrong leg in canter but if he does I go back to trot and try again.
He might be able to do flying changes one day..........
Well he did do one once!