following on from 'PSSM your story'

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I read the thread "PSSM your story" and asked what it was as I had no idea.

The replies convinced me to send hair from my horse for the test as she had some symptoms.

The results came through today and I think I am relieved the horse does not have PSSM but what does the rest mean? Can anyone help please? I asked Animal Genetics and they said it was up to me to investigate the results..... Not much good when Googling it returns you to the AG website which I don't understand.

Results here....

n/n
Clear: Negative for the PSSM Type 1 gene mutation.
n/P1
Heterozygous: Horse carries one copy of the PSSM Type 1 gene mutation and is affected.
P1/P1
Homozygous: Horse has two copies of the PSSM Type 1 gene mutation and is affected.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
those are just the different versions of the gene horses can have.

n/n means doesnt have it and cant pass it on
n/P1 means horse has it and has a 50/50 chance of passing it on
P1/P1 horse has it and will always pass it on

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Leo Walker.

So if a horse is clear I wonder why the other 2 options are listed with 'is affected' because I read it that my horse was clear of type 1 but had a 50% chance of passing on something and a 100% chance of passing on something else.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I think its probably just like a key, so you look at your result then go to that bit to see what it means. Hard to tell without seeing it in context though!

Xanthoria

Visit site
yes Leo is right - it's just a key. Somewhere on your results it should say if your horse is EITHER n/n, OR n/P1, OR P1/P1.

But what about PSSM 2, 3 or 4? Those can't be tested by hair samples - equiseq.com does blood testing for those variants but jury is out on that. A muscle biopsy can tell you about PSSM2 though. I did both hair (for PSSM1) and muscle biopsy (for P2) and the P2 came back positive. equiseq asked for blood to test the variants in a trial they did, and my guy came back with the following:

P2: n/n
P3: n/n
P4: n/P4 Potentially affected: Horse carries one copy of the P4 PSSM2 variant, and is at risk for developing PSSM2.

More here: http://equiseq.com/buy_pssm2.php