Following on from 'should i DIY??'

Benefice1

Visit site
Sorry to be a pain, but following on from my earlier post...if i was decide to change my boys feed what would you recomment i fed him, unfortunately this is where my knowledge isnt too good.

He is a 16.2hh TBx, he is rubbish at keeping any weight on, he is also fairly highly strung, so....i need something which will help fatten him up and keep the weight on but something which will not make him fizzy!!

What do people suggest?

Thanks x

edited to say: he is in medium work at present but am hoping to increase it a bit over the next few weeks

RachelB

Visit site
I had my nutcase greyhound (aka Welsh Cob mare) on Allen and Page Calm and Condition, it seemed to work quite well in small quantities and she did fatten up without fizzing up.

SillyMare

Visit site
Blue chip is good, but I wouldn't worry about changing unless he isn't doing well on his current feed.

If he has plenty of turnout and is still failing to keep weight on at this time of year, then unless you are working him really hard I would be looking for an explaination!

My horses manage medium work on grass at this time of year - when they are eventing they get nuts in addition.

the watcher

Visit site
I tend to increasing oil in feed rather than increasing cereal..actually I don't feed any cereal at all. So instead of chaff there is an alfa-Oil you could try, calm and condition does work well, although I don't use it myself. I use a rice bran and oil pellet as a conditioning feed, pm me if you want the supplier or have a look at endurance websites where riders who require high levels of stamina but not too much excitability have researched feeds..in the main I think you will find that they go for fibre and oil too

Nikiolola

Visit site
I have my highly strung tb who loses weight very easily, on alpha-a origional and spillers conditioning mix. The difference is amazing. I've tried several different types of feed, and that works really well for her! She doesn't fizz up at all on it, unlike msot feeds!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well before you actually change his feed you do need to be sure that what he is currently getting is not the right feed for him. Could it be that he just needs more??

I suspect that the people you are currently stabled with are pretty knowledgeable - start off with chatting to them about your concerns and see what they say.

Benefice1

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice, it was all just for info really, i wouldnt change anything without speaking to the yard owners and getting some advise, its just worth knowing. Thanks again

UKa

community.webshots.com
best recipe for my poor doing TB is that she gets lots of grass in the summer or access to hay at all times for weight. for hard feeds she is on calm and Condition and Alfa A oil with additional oil from the supermarket, this normally seems to keep her going well.

katelarge

Visit site
Mine was (pre-illness) on Good Doer chaff and Spillers high-fibre cubes. In the past he as on Alfa-A (made him silly), calm & condition (made him silly). A vet I know swears by Simple System feeds s they are foraged-based and have NO sugar, which often makes them hot up.

katelarge

Visit site
BTW being on DIY is good if you want to use Simple System as the feeds as need to be soaked, which can make YOs moan for being too much work! You can also ride right after feeeding SS, which might be handy if you are pushed for time - lots of endurance people feed it as you can feed and the ride off! Also, lots of people reckon they've seen an improvement in temperament by moving to SS. I might myself one day!