Following on from Sweaty horse post in Lounge......

1CTrenowath

Visit site
So have applied a not very neat bib clip to my hairy id and....... HE IS STILL SWEATING!!!! The situation is he is turned out nekked on a v. open (no shelter) field in windswept Norfolk during the day, and in with nothing but magnetic boots on at night. He comes in most days showing some degree of sweaty armpits (!!) and base of neck, and in the morning up to a foot deep (if that makes sense) of armpits - including stifle area, and neck. I have owned him for 13 years and this is not normal, he has previously spent winters unworked and unclipped, and has had to be rugged, but we are having stupid warm weather. However am starting to think something else may be going on - it was only around 5 degrees last night with the wind straight in his stable - and still he sweats.... He has the magnetic boots on as he is currently off with coffin joint problems, for which he had a cortisone injection into the joint approx 6 weeks ago. Am I panicking unnesserarily or does this seem strange to others.....? Oh by the way his mate is a 26yo yak-hair coated pony who is happy turned out in a h/w wug and thermatex pj's at night...... Well done for reading that lot!! Your thoughts please.....
smirk.gif

joanne1920

Visit site
my shetland covered in sweat every morning, ive just had her clipped with a trace clip this morning. but she doesnt normally sweat and ive had her 4 years.
Maybe your horse is having a reaction to the injection... Might be worth just phoning the vet and asking them if theyve heard of it before?

1CTrenowath

Visit site
Don't think its pain, as this continued when he was on buteless.. unfortunately he can't be box rested due to hindlimb problems and stomach problems (er not the healthiest specimen- and yet to look at you just see this great hairy healthy looking lump). Have bitten the bullet and called the vet - "my horse is sweating...!!!"felt a right numpty. However she is equally concerned as has the same gut feeling as me - poss. cushings brought on by the flamin' cortisone injection. So vet is out wed and thurs for cushings tests.......