Following on from the British Dressage Thread

Taboo1968

Visit site
After having read in NL and Comp Riders the posts about imported horses being downgraded and being able to compete at Prelim level after assessment... I learnt that BD apparently check this forum often!

So I would like to ask how a Judge can write on a sheet (prelim 13) Good straight entry, good rhythym, nose tipping left and give a 4!!!!! ???????

This came from a well known judge who according to other competitors that day, can change her makrking llike the wind and one day she'll be giving 9's the next day 2's & 3's!!!!

There are too many inconsistencies in judging these days, especially at prelim level when the directives ask for rythym, balance and strightness!!! Well we've got all that, its just the horse keeps tipping his nose left!!!!

Tempi

Visit site
if you have an issue with judging you must wait and speak politly to the judge at the end of your test. i did this once (at the nationals actually!) and it was incredibly helpful.

The fact is that everyone was has to put with incosistancys in judging these days, its just something that comes with dressage im afraid.

Taboo1968

Visit site
Unfortunately the judge disappeared quicker than fog! So was not around to speak to..... maybe I should take it up with her now, but doubt she will remember as I am sure she will have seen a lot of horse between then and now. Did speak to organiser about this who agreed that it wasn't quite right!

not_with_it

Visit site
This is one of the reasons I am having a break from competing. I got so fed up of having inconsistant marks from judges. There is now one venue where I will not compete due to the judge giving such low marks.

I know that judges do not get paid and I really do appreciate them giving up their time but how are we supposed to know what to improve on when the marks are so different from every judge. Pammy Hutton once said that judges no longer give useful advice on the bottom of the sheet and I have to say in most cases she is right.

DressageChick

Visit site
Was it Unaffiliated or Affiliated?

If it was unaffiliated BD will do nothing as it is out of their jurisdiction (they can use anyone to judge and they wont have been trained), if it was affiliated and you feel strongly then you can make a complaint.

IMHO the comment 'good' means 8, unless qualified by good BUT .X..Y..Z.... in which case the mark maybe lower, say taken to 7 or 6 depending on how bad the blip was. Very unusual to comment good, but.... and take down to a 4.

I personally, based on what you have said, I dont think that mark should have been less than 6, but obviously I wasn't there.