following on from trailer test post...

wench

Visit site
If you do your cat c lgv test does that mean you can tow a car and trailer, or would you have to do the cat c+e?

rema

Visit site
I may be wrong but my hubby has a LGV C+E and that enables him to drive a 44 tonne artic.So i dont think you will need the c+e.The Cat C test if for rigids/artics up to a certain weight (i think it's upto 16 tonne).So you would only need a trailer test.And if you passed your test before 1997 you wouldent need that test.I hope this make some sort of se.And i may still be wrong
wink.gif

Iestyn

Visit site
I think you still need your C+E- best thing to do is ring an instruction company DON'T ring DVLA as most of them are as confused as the rest of us about the rules.

rema

Visit site
This is what i found on the NTTA

The Main Categories of LGV Licences
The main non - LGV (unified) licence categories are:

Category C1
Rigid goods vehicles over 3,500kg but NOT over 7,500kg. Vehicles drawing trailers not over 750kg maximum authorised mass are included in this category

Category C1+E
Combinations of vehicles in Category C1 plus trailers over 750kg maximum authorised mass, but with an overall maximum authorised mass (gross train weight) not over 12,000kg

Category C
Rigid goods vehicles over 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM - thisexpression has the same meaning as permitted maximum weight - PMW). Entitlement holders may also drawtrailers not over 750kg MAM.

Category C+E:
Articulated vehicles and drawbar combinations whose semi - trailers and trailers have a MAM greater than those stipulated in Category C

NB: The 'E' relates to trailers and semi-trailers over 750kg maximum authorised mass.

These categories are for drivers who previously held old style ("ordinary") licences (in either Group A or Group B) issued before 1 June 1990 allowing them to retain their previous entitlement under the old style ordinary licences.