Following on from trotting on roads.....

Parkranger

Visit site
I'm interested as to who trots down hills. I don't do it on the road, but we have a large common out the back that is very very hilly and I think it's great for training.

When I first got my boy he would pick his way down a hill taking ages in walk - he was literally terrified - think it's due to a nasty fall in the past on his front shoulder and may well have caused his blindness too.

Anyhow, he's a brave boy and is now trotting down good inclines and it's really built his confidence - obviously alot of it is down to how you ride - make sure I'm sat right back and riding confidently.

Anyone else do this?

Madam_max

Visit site
I hate going down hill at any speed. Believe me, you wouldn't want to do it on my girl, she dishes and going down hill at speed it plain scary.

Helga1980

Visit site
I've been doing some canter work down-hill and well as up-hill when getting M fit for HT's.

I've been taught that as long as it's balanced, cantering down hill is just as good (if not better) as cantering uphill as they really have to use themselves properly to keep balanced. I may been completely wrong in this though
crazy.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
I don't down roads - mainly because for a shore-footed Welshie, my girl is a complete stumble bum! If the nice farmer lets me ride over his stubble fields we do then. It does really well in building up her fitness.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I dont hack out
frown.gif
Was involved in an RTA a few years back and never got my nerve back after that
frown.gif
Where I am doesnt have off road hacking sooo

Feel bad for my poor neddy, but get so scared that I just wind us both up anyway.

Used to do lots of trotting / cantering up and down hills when I worked with showjumpers, but I have to say I didnt like it one bit! Im such a wuss
frown.gif
Feel like we're all going to end up in a heap at the bottom lol
frown.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
Slap my wrists...I canter down valleys out hunting, my old mare is 25 and still hunting...surely can't be that bad for them, oh and she also trots on roads, and sometimes canters out hunting.

My back lady was a P2p Champ in her day and she said aslong as the horse is fit enough trotting on roads should do them no harm, as for trotting down him well some course can have a steep down hill undulation and they are travelling approx 25mph.

pottamus

Visit site
Interesting...yes I have started to trot down hills with my boy on some of the endurance rides and it has improved his balance and sure footedness no end...amazing the difference it has made to him. I have had to go down some really steep grassy banks with him and he is so much better, whereas before it would have been far safer to get off and lead!!!

CobMania

Visit site
I used to cack myself at the thought of riding downhill, always had it in my head that my horse would stumble, I would come off and it would land ontop of me!!

Not just kids with over active imaginations lol

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Depends a bit on the slope. Everything round here tends to be rather steep! I think trotting down a gentle slope teaches a horse balance (well, better than usual) but I could be wrong! PF is very sure footed up or down hill but I've ridden plenty of horses who haven't been out of the school who are hopeless going down slopes and either pick their way down very veeeery gingerly or go sideways like a crab!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I rarely trot on the roads at all nevermind down hill - my horse is a bit fragile. But I quite happily trot/canter down hills in fields, at shows and out hunting

[/ QUOTE ]
confused.gif
confused.gif

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Trot down gentle slopes out in the forest but that is about it. Anything too steep, and I don't even like walking down as Dolly tends to skate on her back feet and it can be quite scary.

Am lucky that I don't have to do hardly any road work.

debbielinder

Visit site
i do a lot of road work and use a few roads by us to trot up as they are a bit steep but always walk down them. love cantering down hill in the park by us its like doing the xc at burghley all up an down my mare loves it and theres a few logs to jump aswell!

parsley

Visit site
I don't trot or canter down hill - Bomber has great big slidy feet anyway without having to carry me fast down hill - (I'm just too scared
blush.gif
grin.gif
)

Weezy

Visit site
Walk, trot, canter, gallop down hills - I dont see teh prob with it? So long as you have a horse who will engage its rear end then its never a prob!

Wouldnt trot down hill on road tho unless out hunting and it is dictated but then I will usually find a verge!

filly190

Visit site
Trotting, cantering, and a little gallop downhill is fun and blows away the cobwebs. Horses have amazing balance and all of the worry they will fall over comes from riders lack of confidence. Common sense and picking the right spots does have to come into it, but I find riders nowadays forget to trust their horse.