Following on from turnout poll...

Disposable income?

• Total voters

Frazer

Visit site
Yes grazing is so good at new yard, and have plently of it.
Out everyday unless I ask not to be, or really tipping down.
Out from about 9 till 5 in the week and 10 till 3 on weekend.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks to everyone so far who has voted and posted...

We only have turnout every other day at the yard where my two are kept (it's alternate boys and girls you see) but the YO only wants them out for 2-3 hours when they do go out.

lillie07

Visit site
Mine go out everyday, go out at 8 and come in about 4/ 5 ish. My mare often comes in early though as she just stands at the gate if its cold or wet!

mandy4727

Visit site
We aren't 100% sure what is happening. In the past they are always in by now with the odd hour here and there mostly at the weekend for a blast!!! But as we now all have individual paddocks (2 each) YO is saying that when they do have a run round there are only 2 or 3 horses per paddock running round rather than 10 or 11 in 1 big field The fields aren't getting as churned up and they can stay out, in 1 of our 2 fields only so the other will be the first one to be used for spring grazing whilst we let the one that has been used for winter recover. She is saying that they can stay out until the end of the year. Great cos I now have a yearling and won't fancy keeping her in. But if our YO stops winter turnout altogether we do have an alternative for a few of us and it will be all day every alternate day. So not that bad really.

riotgirl

Visit site
I'm not on a yard but rent my field from next door. She likes them in at night to save the field (also because as I said in the turnout poll I can't trust my Welshie out all night on her own!). They go out about 7am and come in about 7pm.

Weezy

Visit site
We only have small paddocks - I share mine with another livery - it is up to us what we do with it - if we churn it up then we will suffer in the spring! At the mo they are out 4 to 7 hours a day depending on the weather - but we didnt turn out at all 2 days last week as the fiels was holding water and we knew they would simply cut the surface up - I spent an hour yesterday walking around filling in divots praying that the grass would retake! Luckily we dont have mud but the grass will simply slide off so have to be careful

mandy4727

Visit site
Weezy ours is a similar situation. Up to you what you do - to some extend - but it is your field next spring. But the only thing our YO is not too happy about is what if anyone left the yard. If a new livery came on they would be unhappy to see there summer field like it is. I said I am sure a new livery would be more than happy with the fact that they had winter turnout and individual field turnout then anything else. Do you agree?

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Luckily we have masses of grass and a huge field with just 2 horses on it
smile.gif
They have been in the same one all summer and there is loads of grass still. It is split in half and I think we will move them to the other side soon and keep one side nice for next spring.
It is surrounded by the Cuckmere River tho and after all that rain it is more like a lake than a field, I had to wade through a load of water by the gate and there's loads of water everywhere where the river has burst its banks in places.
A few times last year we couldn't turn out there but I think we will have use of another field this year for when that happens.

Sam x

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
YES, YES, 7 hours or more. My yard has all year round turnout, but my horses only go out at night. they are in during the day at the moment as the weather has been so bad. Stabling is limited at my yard though.

Fiona

Visit site
We keep the beasties at home so I am the YO (and make sure fields are rotated so there is planty of winter grazing with good grass cover (so does not get too poached).

Only had one livery yard in the past that didn't have nice winter fields (6-7 horses in about 2 acres so turned into mud in about 2 weeks, and my two ended up turned out in a barn). Only stuck with this yard for 1 winter (unsurprisingly).

Fiona

Tempi

Visit site
turnout is a sore subject for me atm, but heres how it is for me:

Bloss - out every other day from 630am to 4pm (as i work thats my only option) in piddly little paddock which is already getting muddy even tho its on a hill so the drainage 'should' be good.

Archie - same as Bloss, and he goes out for a couple of hours in the evening of the day hes not out if you see what i mean.

They have to share a field and because the field is so bl00dy tiny and they cant go out together (because blossy would have him for breakfast
blush.gif
)this is the only thing i can do and its a pain in the backside.

ideally id like them both out everyday unless the weather is bad, but unfortunately its not an option
frown.gif
crazy.gif

Nic

Visit site
Have our own yard & Mum has the lease of our field from my Gran so we turn out every day unlesss field is sodden. They will usually be out from 6am til 4/5 pm.

They sometimes have to stay in to save the field though.