Following turnout thread, has anyone ever seen this?

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Right Fany, a 14-2hh mare, is turned out this summer with Cappy, a 17-3hh gelding. Strangely they are getting on really well, Cappy doesn't always like other horses, I think due to being Dutch and being kept in individual turnout, so horsey manners not very well developed and he is 17 now so not a lot of hope of them suddenly developing! :rolleyes:

So, anyway, my YO and YO's OH have spotted Sausage doing something I have never heard of, if he is annoying her she puts her head down and literally pushes him away, she is a heavy horse, and keeps pushing until she is satisfied, then walks off. He tolerates it and never retaliates.
So has anyone ever seen this done before? Why does she do that rather than the usual reactions?

Thanks, :)
FDC

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Because she is a nice natured horse and wants him to behave but doesn't want to hurt him. My guess is that she is cleverer than him as well.
You have just flicked a lightbulb on for me. My Westphalian spent the first12 yrs of her life on the Continent (Germany & Holland) and she can be a nightmare with the other horses.
We had often blamed the fact that many European horses are used to long hours inside for her rush to come in at teatime but of course now you have just shed some more light on her manners, or lack of them.
She IS very people oriented and has super manners around people.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Because she is a nice natured horse and wants him to behave but doesn't want to hurt him. My guess is that she is cleverer than him as well.
You have just flicked a lightbulb on for me. My Westphalian spent the first12 yrs of her life on the Continent (Germany & Holland) and she can be a nightmare with the other horses.
We had often blamed the fact that many European horses are used to long hours inside for her rush to come in at teatime but of course now you have just shed some more light on her manners, or lack of them.
She IS very people oriented and has super manners around people.

I would say she is much more herd savvy, she is the only horse on the yard that is allowed into any of the other herds. But he is the most intelligent horse I have ever met. You are also right, she is a very good natured horse.

Glad to have shed some light for you, I know the Dutch wean then keep the weanlings separately, explains an awful lot doesn't it?
FDC

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It certainly does and as I'm not sure when she was taken into Holland, it could have been as a weanling.
What with that and the enormous brand, I'm amazed that she is as nice-natured as she is but she does struggle to relate to the other horses. Fortunately she doesn't seem to see the 30 yr old as a threat - probably because 30yr old is very wily.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
It certainly does and as I'm not sure when she was taken into Holland, it could have been as a weanling.
What with that and the enormous brand, I'm amazed that she is as nice-natured as she is but she does struggle to relate to the other horses. Fortunately she doesn't seem to see the 30 yr old as a threat - probably because 30yr old is very wily.

My lad has a breed brand, hot branded, and now won't let anyone anywhere near him with clippers. We tried him with other horses, funny he was okay with 2 yr olds, but when put in again the next year he chased one out of the field.

I think Fany is teaching him some manners.

FDC