Food for sensitive cat stomachs

Pippity

Visit site
Poppy's decided to celebrate her 10th Gotcha Day by puking pretty much every time she eats. I'm fairly sure it's just a result of wolfing her wet food (Felix) so I'm currently restricting her to mostly dry food (Iams) and giving her tiny amounts of wet food every hour or so. Does anyone have suggestions of wet food that's particularly gentle on stomachs? When I first got her, she came with some special food because of her stomach, but that was a decade ago so not a chance of me remembering what it was called!

If she's still puking tomorrow, I'll have to take her to vet, but it's a horrifying experience for everybody involved.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I would see how she gets on with small amounts of boiled chicken or white fish if she's a bit dicky, and forego the pouches and nuggets for the time being. Let her eat a little bit then give another small amount a bit later, so she doesn't have the chance to gobble it in large quantities. You're right to take her to the vets if she doesn't settle down by tomorrow. Hope she's ok ??

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No recommendations, except to avoid chicken flavour wet food. We used to have a lovely ginger cat who loved chicken flavoured food but it made him sick, so he had to forego it, unfortunately for him.

Pippity

Visit site
Update: She's seeming a bit lethargic (difficult to tell with cats, I know!) so I'm taking her into the vet this afternoon. Fingers crossed for her. She's a little horror who makes my life hell, and I don't want to lose her.

SOS

Visit site
Applaws is good and they seem to like it.

Wouldn’t recommend Applaws unless tempting to eat. The wet food is not a complete diet, it’s complementary, And to get their daily allowance you have to feed lots. It’s also very rich! Perfect for tempting an animal to eat but definitely not ideal long term.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Hills i/d digestive care is what was the veterinarians sent us home with over 1 year ago, when Berta had had a period with wolfing down her food, which lead to puking, and then suddenly stopping to eat completely. We tried the cans with stew, then pouches, then the dry, and Berta liked all of them for a few days, but it turned out she had lost her appetite due to very low B12, so it wasn't really the food's fault how quick she lost interest in it.
And it did calm down her upset stomach + intestines.

Was just going to post, as I saw your update, sad to hear it sounds serious, hope they can find something fixable.
{{{Hugs}}}

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Update: She's seeming a bit lethargic (difficult to tell with cats, I know!) so I'm taking her into the vet this afternoon. Fingers crossed for her. She's a little horror who makes my life hell, and I don't want to lose her.

Noticed I must have pressed Like after updating the page, and trying to scroll down to the reply box again on my mobile. Unliked because there isn't much to like about that update. {{{{Vibes}}}}

WandaMare

Visit site
Wouldn’t recommend Applaws unless tempting to eat. The wet food is not a complete diet, it’s complementary, And to get their daily allowance you have to feed lots. It’s also very rich! Perfect for tempting an animal to eat but definitely not ideal long term.

Although i only recommended it as a complementary food (OP is also feeding dry food) I find it good for cats with sensitive stomachs, they do make a complete wet food for seniors which is good quality. I find more of the older cats like it than some of the other brands so although expensive you get less waste.

OP hope all goes well at the vets.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Have no idea what happened, if Poppy is better, how you got injured, if Poppy have something to do with the injury...
So just sending some general get better soon {{{{{{vibes}}}}}} to both Poppy, and you, and hope your hospital visit goes as smoothly as possible.

Pippity

Visit site
Have no idea what happened, if Poppy is better, how you got injured, if Poppy have something to do with the injury...
So just sending some general get better soon {{{{{{vibes}}}}}} to both Poppy, and you, and hope your hospital visit goes as smoothly as possible.

I got injured attempting to get her into the carrier! At the point where I was dripping blood and my t-shirt was shredded, I gave up, on the grounds that no vet would be able to examine her, even if I could get her there.

WandaMare

Visit site
What a nightmare for you OP, hope you are OK and not too badly hurt. I've had owners arrive at the cattery with shredded hands from getting the cats in the carriers, sometimes they can be as difficult to load as horses!

Let us know how you get on and hope all goes ok with your hospital visit.

Visit site
I hope you and Poppy are both ok.

IME Hills z/d and Royal Canin gastrointestinal dry foods were the best, with a small amount of boiled white fish or chicken. I think the z/d is also available as a wet food, but my GI-troubled cat wouldn’t touch it.

Welding gauntlets can be useful when loading up reluctant felines, or you could try a top-loading carrier if you haven’t done so already.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I got injured attempting to get her into the carrier! At the point where I was dripping blood and my t-shirt was shredded, I gave up, on the grounds that no vet would be able to examine her, even if I could get her there.

:eek: Ouch!

I have to confess to have shoved more than one cat through the years down into an upright standing transport (the door upwards) with their rumps first, but some cats give a whole new meaning to the phrase terrible to load.

Shady

Visit site
:eek: Ouch!

I have to confess to have shoved more than one cat through the years down into an upright standing transport (the door upwards) with their rumps first, but some cats give a whole new meaning to the phrase terrible to load.
God they do FL !
Full motorbike leathers ( including helmet) needed for one of mine years ago!
Hope you are not too badly hurt Pippity. x

Pippity

Visit site
We made it to the vet today, with minimal bloodshed. (She has the knack of swarming up my leg and clinging to my back like a possessed rucksack, which makes her very difficult to detach once she's attached herself. It also makes it difficult to mop up the blood.) Unfortunately, we then ended up sitting in the waiting room for an hour because they were running so late, with Poppy getting more and more stressed. By the time we got to see a vet, they couldn't examine her beyond dangling a stethoscope over her, so no actual idea of what's causing it.

She's been given an anti-nausea injection, which involved two vet nurses in kevlar holding her down while the vet injected then leaped back like a ninja, and some special gastrointestinal-friendly food (Purina Pro Plan Vet Diet), and we'll see how she does over the next 24 hours. If she's still sick, she'll go back in to be sedated and then examined, but nobody's keen on sedating her because she's got a heart murmur. (No idea how advanced the heart murmur is. She growls so loudly that nobody's been able to hear her heart for the past six years or so.)

Fingers crossed it'll have an effect. As you can tell from the previous two paragraphs, she's an absolute horror, but I love her to bits.

1601056986948.png

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I have to admit that your post made me laugh, more than once, due to recognition, been there, have had similar cats.

She's beautiful, fingers crossed for that she either doesn't need a return visit, or that the return visit goes well, and they can fix her that time.

Hope your scratches heals without complications.

WandaMare

Visit site
She’s gorgeous, hopefully it was just an upset tum and nothing more complicated. She’s a lucky girl to have such a brave owner!

My friends cats went to the vet today for dental work and while being sedated bit the vet so badly he had to cancel the procedure, she felt terrible but when she told me I couldn’t help but laugh. Cats can be really scary sometimes ?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
She’s so pretty though! Hope the jab and food does the trick ??.

Squirrel went for her vaccs today, the vet ‘said’ she was ok ? but judging how she bust her way out of the carrier on arriving home, I’m not sure I believe them ?.

Pippity

Visit site
I've had an entire weekend of not having to clean up cat puke, which has been delightful. She's put weight back on (which is very noticeable when she takes a flying leap onto my bladder at 2am) and is a lot less clingy and more relaxed. She's got about another day's worth of the special food, so I'll start alternating that with her normal food today and see how we get on.

Shady

Visit site
Great update P and she's a lovely looking cat. Hopefully no more puking. I have found that even one pouch of dodgy food can set up a dietry reaction for days
One of mine will always throw up if she's hungry/impatient and eats too many biscuits before her wet food in the morning. It's only in the morning, so when I get up I remove the munchie bowl , feed them their wet food portions , do the horses ,and put the bowl back again afterwards.

Griffin

Visit site
My strategy with a gobbler was to split their pouches and only offer dried food in a dispensing ball thing (then they couldn't eat it all in one go). I have recently seen on FB tilted bowls and I wonder if they might be worth a try?