food means big belly? explain?

Megibo

Visit site
Just want to explain what happens to my mare and if it's normal...I assume it is :)

my Welshie was overweight but after being on strict management is much healthier. theres nibble length grass in her field in patches and she has a haynet full of soaked hay each evening.

when i first go up there she looks 'tucked up' and you can just see ribs she looks quite nice. after she eats her hay her belly seems to swell out ? is it just cause her stomach is full of food?
sounds like a numpty question but she keeps being called fat but prior to eating she looks lovely ! :rolleyes:

TGM

Visit site
Yes, it is quite normal for a horse's belly to get bigger or smaller depending on how full of fibre it is. That is why you should NOT judge a horse's condition on the size of it's belly! Instead you should look at the neck, shoulder, ribcage and quarters and assess the fat pockets there, as these remain constant.

gill84

Visit site
I have this with my IDx mare. She looks fine when she's turned out but by mid afternoon she looks like she's carrying twins!! It's awful when I take her to shows coz obviously she has hay or whatever beforehand and she balloons!! We've tried pre or pro biotics masses of exercise pink powder restricted grazing and anything else it seems. Before anyone starts yes she's wormed yes she's had blood tests! It's so frustrating!!

Tammytoo

Visit site
Yes, my tb mare is like this. First thing in the morning she is sylph like, but once she starts eating her belly gets bigger and bigger! Her weight is fine but at the wrong time of day she looks pregnant!

gill84

Visit site
I thought it was just me with this problem. I'm sure I've read something on here about increasing protein helps which would explain why when she was on competition mixes a few years back she looked good. But now she's on topspec lite and hifi maybe I've bulked her up with too much fibre lol

floradora09

Visit site
...that would explain why my tb looks really fit and trim when we arrive home after a competition, but very big bellied in the field the next day!

oscarwild

Visit site
Yeah my tb mare is like this. Everyone keeps coming up and telling me she fat, but she perfect condition everywhere just gets a full swollen belly ocassionally. Doesnt bother me cause know she is of good weight.
the joys of horses I suppose Haha.