Foot abscess

Pedantic

Visit site
My Po has never had one in over 12 years of our partnership, bit of a shock for me, but such a relief that it wasn't a mystery problem, my brilliant farrier came out last Saturday at 8.30pm and again today at 7pm same day as calling him, pressure relieved for him tonight so more comfy, Iv'e got to learn this poultice caper starting tomorrow as I don't have stuff on hand, never had to do it before.

Kafairia

Visit site
I've poulticed a hoof on the side of caution - turned out to be a small divet in the frog caused by a sharp stone most likely. Didn't make the horse lame - I was just wanting to make sure before it did in case!

One thing I would recommend is a hoof boot, temporary ones are good even opposed to duct tape as its a nightmare to get on the hoof if your horse is a fidget. You can get some really good ones - I like Woof Wears new one but it's around £30 which I couldn't justify on something I didn't need and something that I could find an equally good cheaper alternative to.

Hope he has a speedy recovery and you don't find it too hard OP. :)

Micropony

Visit site
They can be horrible, hope yours resolves quickly and your horse is feeling better soon. I became a bit of a speed poulticing queen with my last chap, and after a poultice boot disaster (too boring to recount) I stuck with the poultice, vetrap, nappy, duct tape option. If it's driving you bonkers, you could look at the eqwelli, just a reinforced canvas bag with velcro straps. You can turn out in it, although I wouldn't be keen in slippery mud. TBH if you had a sewing machine you could probably fashion one for yourself. I found it held up pretty well and saved time and faffing in the duct tape department. Mine was a shiverer in front and yes, you've guessed it, that's where the abscess was, so speed was of the essence! Best of luck.

Cobbytype

Visit site
It's not as difficult to poultice as it looks, but an extra pair of hands helps. Cohesive bandages are your friend. There are a few videos on YouTube that show how to do it - I had to take a look at them when my donkey got an abscess a couple of weeks back as the last time I did one was nearly 20 years ago.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
ime a decent sized nappy, some vet wrap and duct tape with a heavy duty polythene bag over the lot work well. And if you want to turn out, a Horzcroc is good except in the worst mud.

Pedantic

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's tips, he's walking so much better this morning after farrier opened it last night, I will be sorting poultice out later this morning.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I've poultice lots of horse's hooves. My farrier told me most people don't know how to poultice a hoof, and some who think they do he has seen poulticing dirty and even muddy feet! Also, they sometimes put the poultice upside down. Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs but this is how I do it. So first step is a scrubbing brush and water with a bit of hibiscrub or similar in it to thoroughly clean the hoof. Then you need a bowl, kettle, boiled water. Cut poultice to size (I use animalintex and cut it but you can use the ready shaped ones or nappies. Soak the poultice in the hot water and squeeze out so it's not dripping before applying it to the hoof (waterproof/shiny side on the outside). Have your vet wrap and scissors at the ready in your pocket. I tend to use a whole vet wrap so that it's secure. Start at the toe and wrap the first layers right around the toe and heel parallel to the bottom of the hoof. The vet wrap stretches over and grips the poultice all round, so securing it quickly to the hoof. This is the trickiest bit but easy once you've done it a couple of times. Then slowly build the layers by changing the direction of the tape so they also cover the bottom of the hoof. Do not wrap the vet wrap higher than the base of the heel bulbs as it can cause too much pressure and block circulation. Then put on a hoof boot of some sort.

ETA: I do a maximum of 3 days wet poulticing. If you need more, then switch to dry poulticing for a few days. Normally this is enough, but you may have to repeat the process for stubborn abscesses. If your farrier has managed to open it, then a couple of days is usually long enough.

Last edited:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The other thing we do, is to tub the foot, standing the hoof in hot water and epsom salts for as long as possible, prior to putting the clean poultice on.