Foot balance for dummies...

Denbob

Visit site
Any good articles/studies/information about foot balance? Particularly relating to barefoot or hind feet. It's not something I've got a load of experience with thinking about, have always trusted my farrier but my physio remarked yesterday on a slight muscle difference in D's quarters which *could* possibly be related to his hind feet. Would like to read up on what I can before I approach my farrier next week!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I asked my vet to give me a talk through years ago (he's very helpful and has a superb eye for feet). The farrier is also good but doesn't like to stay and chat like the vet, and tbh I've not known anyone with an eye like his.

A couple of tips - get down at eye level and assess side to side and front to back.

Is the coronet parallel to the ground from the front?

He also told me when lifting the front foot, hold it under the fetlock but with your arm hooked under the leg and your head pressing into the shoulder (haven't explained that very well). Then look down the foot from heel to toe. That angle gives you a much better view of balance than just picking it up normally. Obviously you need a sensible horse!

Pete Ramey has a lot of useful stuff online.

Denbob

Visit site
I asked my vet to give me a talk through years ago (he's very helpful and has a superb eye for feet). The farrier is also good but doesn't like to stay and chat like the vet, and tbh I've not known anyone with an eye like his.

A couple of tips - get down at eye level and assess side to side and front to back.

Is the coronet parallel to the ground from the front?

He also told me when lifting the front foot, hold it under the fetlock but with your arm hooked under the leg and your head pressing into the shoulder (haven't explained that very well). Then look down the foot from heel to toe. That angle gives you a much better view of balance than just picking it up normally. Obviously you need a sensible horse!

Pete Ramey has a lot of useful stuff online.

That's really useful thank you! I think I understand what you mean... worth a go he's pretty solid.

Nic Barkers books are supposed to be really good, I haven't gotten around to buying them yet though

Great, will look into those, thanks!

On Facebook you can follow Pete Ramey, he is excellent and shares his knowledge https://www.facebook.com/groups/294530924403086/

Also Rockley https://www.facebook.com/rockleyfarm/

I started to take a big interest in feet over 10 years ago and still have a lot to learn but those are a good starting point.

Thank you so much, I'd love to feel confident in talking about feet in general but at the moment just hoping to not sound like a total numpty when I ask about it a bit later on 🙈

cundlegreen

Visit site
That's really useful thank you! I think I understand what you mean... worth a go he's pretty solid.

Great, will look into those, thanks!

Thank you so much, I'd love to feel confident in talking about feet in general but at the moment just hoping to not sound like a total numpty when I ask about it a bit later on 🙈
A difference in muscle could be due to a fall in the field or getting cast. It's not always about the feet.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
a slight muscle difference in D's quarters which *could* possibly be related to his hind feet.

This could well be the other way round. A problem higher up is being reflected in the way he wears his feet.
For example if he is not moving and landing straight on a leg it will be shown up in more wear on one side of the hoof than the other. Hock arthritis amongst other things will cause this, we have an old pony that wears his hind hooves very unevenly because of his arthritis,

Leo Walker

Visit site
Leo had a problem in his right hind. I always knew if it was starting to be an issue again as you would see it in the wear and balance of his his feet first.

Denbob

Visit site
This could well be the other way round. A problem higher up is being reflected in the way he wears his feet.
For example if he is not moving and landing straight on a leg it will be shown up in more wear on one side of the hoof than the other. Hock arthritis amongst other things will cause this, we have an old pony that wears his hind hooves very unevenly because of his arthritis,

That's interesting, I had thought about that as a question to ask my farrier. The wall is wearing pretty evenly on both but the right heel is slightly lower than the left.

Last edited:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If you take a video of your horse walking, then trotting away from you on a hard, flat surface and look at it closely you may notice what he is doing to get the uneven wear. For example my pony wears his off fore slightly unevenly and watching him come towards me he dishes slightly with that leg.