Foot / laminitis experts help please?

cornwallexracers

Visit site
Just after some advice or reassurance please! I got a new horse a couple of months back who'd previously had laminitis a couple of years back but had been sound ever since. Anyway, i've been riding him now for about 7 weeks building him up gradually as he wasn't 100% fit and the ground here compared to where he was before is very stony. I've been managing him carefully out at night with a muzzle, low sugar diet, good supplement etc etc.
On wednesday he came in and didn't look right so trotted him up and he was lame on his right fore, digital pulse raised in that foot and slight swelling around the fetlock. Vet came out had a look and said not lami, most likely a bruise or abcess, get farrier to look. Farrier came out said heat on the inside of the right hoof most likely infection, bruise or abcess brewing but soak in epsom salts twice a day to see if we can draw anything out as it wasn't close enough for him to dig around at.
Horse then seemed a bit better nearly 100% in walk, bit sore on a turn and lame but not drastic in trot and seemes to be improving, but he came in this morning back to how he started.
So called the vet out this afternoon and a different one came out. He had a look at his foot, took pulses, felt hooves said heat where farrier said it was and slight dent on coronet band on the inside of the hoof, its an abcess.
Then he had a scratch about on the sole and said he's got bruising on the sole on the inside of the hoof, it could be bad bruising as he has thin soles and combined with him not being used to walking on stony ground it could make him lame.
Then he stood back ummed and ahhed for a bit had a prod again and said if he was a bit too lame for bruising and not lame enough for an abcess, and although he only has strong dp in the right fore leg and heat and reacted to testers on the inside of the right fore he wasn't going to rule out that its not lami.
So now he's on box rest for 10 days and then see where we are in terms of soundness which is fine his welfare comes first obviously.
I just thought I'd get some of your opinions. I've never had a lami horse before (or ever dealt with bruising and only seen 1 abcess which made the horse so lame it was on three legs!) So im totally out of my depth with feet issues, but i thought there was always symptoms in 2 or 4 feet to some degree with lami? Plus i've been so careful with his management to try avoid it and read so much when deciding to take him on, and now i feel like a terrible horse owner as I'm not having much luck at the moment.

Does it seem likely to you guys, or would the bruising/abcess seem more plausable?

Hot chocolate and carrot cake for getting this far!

OLDGREYMARE

Visit site
It could be laminitis especially at this time of year,remember to feed only low sugar/starch until you know i.e. soaked hay,no hard feed.Look at the Laminitis Site and join their facebook group for lots of help ,I did.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Just after some advice or reassurance please! I got a new horse a couple of months back who'd previously had laminitis a couple of years back but had been sound ever since. Anyway, i've been riding him now for about 7 weeks building him up gradually as he wasn't 100% fit and the ground here compared to where he was before is very stony. I've been managing him carefully out at night with a muzzle, low sugar diet, good supplement etc etc.
On wednesday he came in and didn't look right so trotted him up and he was lame on his right fore, digital pulse raised in that foot and slight swelling around the fetlock. Vet came out had a look and said not lami, most likely a bruise or abcess, get farrier to look. Farrier came out said heat on the inside of the right hoof most likely infection, bruise or abcess brewing but soak in epsom salts twice a day to see if we can draw anything out as it wasn't close enough for him to dig around at.
Horse then seemed a bit better nearly 100% in walk, bit sore on a turn and lame but not drastic in trot and seemes to be improving, but he came in this morning back to how he started.
So called the vet out this afternoon and a different one came out. He had a look at his foot, took pulses, felt hooves said heat where farrier said it was and slight dent on coronet band on the inside of the hoof, its an abcess.
Then he had a scratch about on the sole and said he's got bruising on the sole on the inside of the hoof, it could be bad bruising as he has thin soles and combined with him not being used to walking on stony ground it could make him lame.
Then he stood back ummed and ahhed for a bit had a prod again and said if he was a bit too lame for bruising and not lame enough for an abcess, and although he only has strong dp in the right fore leg and heat and reacted to testers on the inside of the right fore he wasn't going to rule out that its not lami.
So now he's on box rest for 10 days and then see where we are in terms of soundness which is fine his welfare comes first obviously.
I just thought I'd get some of your opinions. I've never had a lami horse before (or ever dealt with bruising and only seen 1 abcess which made the horse so lame it was on three legs!) So im totally out of my depth with feet issues, but i thought there was always symptoms in 2 or 4 feet to some degree with lami? Plus i've been so careful with his management to try avoid it and read so much when deciding to take him on, and now i feel like a terrible horse owner as I'm not having much luck at the moment.

Does it seem likely to you guys, or would the bruising/abcess seem more plausable?

Hot chocolate and carrot cake for getting this far!
I been there lost my mare.

here is a collection of info and links http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/l.html

Heelfirst

Visit site
Main causes of laminitis: 1) nutrition 2) concussion 3) toxaemia due to things like placenta retention
Laminitis can be in one foot but in my experience not usual for it to be on one side of the offending foot.
Any damage to laminae will cause pain whether it is sole or wall laminae, in the case of a bruised sole then you damage will be mainly due to the thickness of the sole.
This is not just because a thick sole will have more protection but as with all barefoot horses it’s about expansion and contraction, thin soles mean that the horse has very little choice as to amount of movement within the sole.
Thus if any damage (internal or external) is caused then the natural healing process has to work harder and be less efficient
At present I am monitoring all my clients horse’s feet with a moisture meter at the better feet have closer parity but in the poor cases I have found the sole to have 2/3 times the moisture content of the wall, in these cases the bonding process (white line) must IOM be working much harder and be under more stress, thus leading to problems.
You mention that the soles are not thick; this I feel is where I would want to start to correct your present problem and to try and prevent more of the same happening in the future.
I use a NCT approach: Nutrition, Condition, and Trim.
There are many on this site who will go further into diet, but id that is under control I would be turning to the conditions that you can use to help sole retention and callous production.
As for your present situation, it is very hard to comment precisely as I cant see the foot, there could be any amount of reasons including invasion as to the cause of the lameness, but I would keep the vet on board and if things do not improve without any identification of cause, I would be thinking about x-rays