foot sore or lami

twilight01

Visit site
Horse came in on Monday with a split/collapse around nail in front hoof - kept in til last night as farrier came yesterday feet all sorted although had to put nail higher up and change to front clips due to hoof cracking. Her toes had gone quite long so had to take them back quite a bit (usual 5 week visit) Put her back out in field, came in ok this morning from field but later looked uncomfortable. Farrier came back and hoof tested etc said not sore around nails but was at toe and may be due to being off grass a few days then back on it after the rain and growth spurt and not lami but could be start of. Am now really worried - is this lami or is it foot sore cause feet cut back more than normal. She seemed a bit better tonight, is eating ok occasionally leaning on back wall and pottery at walk.

pines of rome

Visit site
You have my sympathy as mine has come in tonight looking like he has laminitis, nothing to do with shoes as he is barefoot! He has not had it before, I think it might well be the grass, so I am going to treat it as lamiinitis, I suppose it could be an abcess as he only has a strong pulse in one foot! What a worry they are!!!!

twilight01

Visit site
Pined of rome - they certainly are!!

thanks - she not had it before, and not had dealings with it, but have kept her in, full bed down and cut out the carrot from her feed, not sure what else to do - but we have a vet visit tomorrow so will talk to them and get some advice.

pottamus

Visit site
If in any doubt keep off the grass totally until you have had it confirmed or otherwise by the vet. Best to err on the side of caution, having learnt the hard way myself. The grass is pretty good at the moment with the warm wet conditions. I have cut my lads grazing down to a third of what he had because even though he has lost some weight, his neck was a little firm for my liking.

twilight01

Visit site
she was better yesterday am but as we had vet visit on yard got them to see her, more one foot than other yesterday so vet took shoe off as suspected abscess as no typical lami movement or stance, found some bruising and suspects is bruised soles as feet cut back quote far by farrier. On box rest, with deep bed and worst foot bandaged with padding. She was already on reduced grazing of night only - out as late as possible and in as early as possible - used to be 24/7 t/o. Farrier back on Monday as wants shoe back on asap for support, vet indicated keep it off so will see what is said on Monday. She is looking much happier and walking round stable well and not resting on wall whichever it is am hoping have caught it in time.

EAST KENT

Visit site
After an acute lami attack at the start of February my mare is finally sound.She is out on bare grazing ,still in the heartbar fronts,no hinds,the visit from the farrier this week revealed the original bruising and even some beads of old black serum emerging. How very c;ose this one came to the bullet,but with good guidence she has come through.