Footsore / bruised soles what to do?

cpendle

Visit site
My horse is lame in both fronts, basically because a) farrier had to do lots of remedial work on his feet cutting them back a lot b) because while this was happening he pulled away and galloped up the road with no front shoes on - making them even worse.

He's been off work for about a month, is now just looking 'footy' rather than hopping lame. Should I start gradually bringing him into work on a surface or wait until he's totally sound before doing anything?

pottamus

Visit site
He needs to be 100% sound before doing any sort of work with him! What does your farrier say about it...what has he advised you to do?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I have to say that if he were mine I would concerned that he was still sore after a month.

Has anyone loked at him for you?

Nari

Visit site
Hi cp1, I replied to you on another forum when you posted about this a while ago.

I'm sorry to hear he still isn't right but to be honest I'd still give him a bit more time before you go down the x-ray route suggested by the vet. I've had bruising that has shown as footiness on a hard surface for longer than this & the hard rough ground at the moment won't be helping at all.

I certainly wouldn't work him on hard ground as you'll just create more bruising. If you have a soft surface that he's sound on then you could try to as it does sometimes help - when they get unfit they carry more weight on the forehand & so put more strain on the front feet. It really depends on how he looks & feels & I'd also run it past my farrier too (I've got far more faith in his judgement than my vet's when it comes to Jim's feet).

Good luck with him.

Rueysmum

Visit site
This happens about once a year to my TB. After the initial course of anti-inflammatories he takes a good few weeks to come right.

If I were you I woudn't do anything with him yet, especially as the ground is hard at the moment. The additional weight of a saddle and rider won't do him any favours.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
When my mare got stone bruises a few months ago it took her about 2-3 weeks to be right again, and they were'nt that bad, no absessing or specific worse foot. Wasn't lami, there was a deffinate stone incident. I would think its promising that your boy is getting better, I would still keep him out of work though until he is a 100% sound, you don't want to do any more damage. If he's not sound in a few more weeks would deffinately advise a vet seeing him again though. Is he turned out or boxed, as movement is good at helping the foot heal, though movement out of choice, ie. turned out not ridden or hand walked.If he was mine and had the facilities I'd have him out 24/7 so that he can move as much as he wants, obviously if he has been boxed you don't want him to go mad on sore feet so best to restrict turnout if this is the case.

My mare is barefoot too, so I could tell her feet had healed and were not sore as soon as she was sound, as your boy has remedial shoes/or work done and shoes, I would give him another week after he is sound before you ride just to make sure all is well as he can't feel his feet in the same way. Also due to the reduced circulation shoeing causes healing will have taken longer.

oops written a bit of an essay
blush.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Definitely wait until he's sound. For hardening feet (toughening up the soles) my vet recommended standing neddy in a solution of copper sulphate and water for no more than 10 mins a day. You must also make sure that the liquid doesn't touch the coronet band. Not sure if it works (PF has good feet), but vet has been right so far!
smile.gif

wendy42

Visit site
Hi Our horse is rarely sound when the ground is hard even though he is fiited with gel pads (£150!) so I do sympathise. When we are able to ride him during hard spells we stick to road work or a manage as it seems to be the uneven (even just slightly) hard ground that sets his feet off as when he is sound he can trot on roads without any problems starting.