Footsore? thoughts please

lucky7

Visit site
I need some advice please, bare with me this could be long!
I have a cob mare who is rising 8. She has been back in work for approx 10 days now (been off for 2 years after stile surgery, however completley sound now so commencing work slowly). She is currently unshod and had a trim approx 2 weeks ago. She is a bit over weight but not massive. She lives out 24/7 and was being fed a very small handful of chaff which she stopped having over a week ago. The have 1 slice (large bale) of haylage 1 x per day which she shares with my welsh D. The grass has just started to shoot through the extreme mud we have at the moment, the last few days the horses have been leaving the haylage in favour of the new shoots popping through the mud.
Anyway, before her surgery she was shod all round as she used to struggle over the soney ground and get foot sore, so on recommendation of the vets this is what i did and she was fine. Now, where she is kept there is a short walk to the yard from the field and it is very stoney, she will avoid the stones and has a bit of a stumble but once on hard ground shes fine.
I bought her in Monday to rode and noticed she was quite stumbly across the stones, perhaps a bit more than normal but carried on and rode her in the school. After a few mins she felt really stumbly on her front so i got off and noticed a small stone stuck so i removed it and got back on and she was fine. Really forward and willing no complaints. She had yesterday off. Tonight i went down and bought her in, she was noticably very stumbly again across the stones, she was trying to walk on the soft verges on the sides and stopped a few times across the stones. Got her on the concrete on the yard which is smooth and she was fine, walked her round and no stumbling. Picked her feet out which had nothing in them, no obvious signs of thrush etc. Tooke her down the school and she was really stumbly across the stones, she felt quite short too so i got off and took her bac the yard. On leading her back she was reluctant to walk on the stones and kept stopping. Got her back the field and she went in fine and was eating her haylage etc.
The field is really boggy at the moment and quite wet with all the rain we have had.
She's never had laminitis before, no signs of thrush either....no heat in any feet and not rocking or standing funny etc just stumbly across the stones. I have called my fafrrier and left a message as she is hopefully being shod next week, its def not her stifle as its not a lameness just more of being footsore,am quite concerned as she was going so well and am a teeny bit paranoid!!
Thoughts please?

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My first thought would be the grass and poss laminitis tbh, is it possible to bring her in for a bit and see if she improves as that would give you your answer. Have you checked for pulses?
Avoiding stones I wouldn't worry too much, Frank does it all the time and I just deem it sensible, why walk on them if you don't have to although it is tricky to judge without seeing her. Stopping would have me a bit concerned and taking her off the grass.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I guess that the wet field is keeping her feet soft and tender. My older mare has been shoeless since Christmas and she, too, struggles on stoney ground. There is nothing wrong with her except that her feet are rather tender. I wish everywhere would dry up!

Last edited:

lucky7

Visit site
I guess that the wet field is keeping her feet soft and tender. My older mare has been shoeless since Christmas and she, too, struggles on stoney ground. There is nothing wrong with her except that her feet are rather tender. I wish everywhere would dry up!
Oh I do hope so!! Plan of action tomorrow is to feel for a pulse. I stupidly didnt even think of this. If I can't feel a pulse I will wait for the farrier next week however if she has one will bring her in and call the vet.
Thank you!!

rachk89

Visit site
I would personally shoe her. My gelding was the same didn't even like walking on concrete really and was very slow on stony ground. In the school and on grass fine. Got him shod on the front hooves no further problem.

ester

Visit site
Or you could listen to the fact that there is an issue and that those unshod feet are giving you an early warning sign that something is up and might be best dealt with at source, particularly with a horse that is slowly coming back into work only after the last couple of weeks ;)

Pulse check tomorrow OP :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Or you could listen to the fact that there is an issue and that those unshod feet are giving you an early warning sign that something is up and might be best dealt with at source, particularly with a horse that is slowly coming back into work only after the last couple of weeks ;)

Pulse check tomorrow OP :)

Whilst I would never suggest ignoring warning signs or being blasé about the possibility of a serious issue, I do think horse owners need to be careful not to catastrophise.

OP, I have bought my mare a pair of hoofboots for her fronts. We will use them for as long as necessary. She has been on the most basic high fibre diet possible, has not worn back shoes for the last 5 yrs, is seen regularly by an extremely good farrier whom I have known for more than 20 yrs and has access to very little grass. We keep a close eye on her weight. My first thought when she says ouch on a stony track is not "laminitis!"

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Wet ground = soft feet. New grass = tender feet. Check pulses.

Also my welshie hates stony ground, she gravitates towards any verge, but there is nothing wrong with her. I can't fault her really.

lucky7

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Will bring her in tomorrow anyway for a check of the pulses. Farrier coming next week to shoe so wil monitor her and see how she goes.

rachk89

Visit site
Whilst I would never suggest ignoring warning signs or being blasé about the possibility of a serious issue, I do think horse owners need to be careful not to catastrophise.

OP, I have bought my mare a pair of hoofboots for her fronts. We will use them for as long as necessary. She has been on the most basic high fibre diet possible, has not worn back shoes for the last 5 yrs, is seen regularly by an extremely good farrier whom I have known for more than 20 yrs and has access to very little grass. We keep a close eye on her weight. My first thought when she says ouch on a stony track is not "laminitis!"

I definitely am not blasé about issues with horses i probably call the vet too often about my horse. But surely if it was laminitis she would be sore on every surface not just stony ground. She is fine in the field which to me doesn't suggest laminitis.

It may even have just been a slight bruise on her hoof from the stone. It could be that she doesn't like the stony ground. Doesn't have to be a major issue like you say. Hopefully for the horses sake it isn't major issue.

Jericho

Visit site
I have had similar issues and called the vet and everything . Vet found nothing and started saying needs lameness work up, gave bute etc. farrier came following week and said it was just soft feet because of being wet so much and to use keratex on them to harder them up. It worked . But it could also be lami in your case, which is what I thought with my boy, so just be aware

ester

Visit site
I definitely am not blasé about issues with horses i probably call the vet too often about my horse. But surely if it was laminitis she would be sore on every surface not just stony ground. She is fine in the field which to me doesn't suggest laminitis.

It may even have just been a slight bruise on her hoof from the stone. It could be that she doesn't like the stony ground. Doesn't have to be a major issue like you say. Hopefully for the horses sake it isn't major issue.

Not necessarily, stoney ground presents very different pressure points and loading to flat hard ground. As I said it is just an indicator that something is going on. There is a reason that vets have only decided low grade lami is a thing since more have been unshod. I'm not saying this horse has lami but it gives you a chance to eliminate the possibility or deal with it very early on.

If the horse is just struggling with the low level of work she is currently in due to other environmental factors then to me it would make more sense to pop some boots on when she needs them than put shoes on just yet when she is only 2 weeks into coming back into work

WandaMare

Visit site
I have had similar issues and called the vet and everything . Vet found nothing and started saying needs lameness work up, gave bute etc. farrier came following week and said it was just soft feet because of being wet so much and to use keratex on them to harder them up. It worked . But it could also be lami in your case, which is what I thought with my boy, so just be aware

Me too. I have a mare who has been slightly footsore since shoeing this time and my farrier also said probably due to wet ground. Its true I've turned her out more in wet conditions this year than previously so I'm hoping it is just that. I've tried to keep her weight reasonable this winter as she is a good doer type but I'm keeping an eye on her just in case it might be a low grade lami just starting to show symptoms.

Goldenstar

Visit site

This is my guess too I have just taken the shoes off J and he's just the same .
However if there's any chance of lami my rule is always to treat as lami .
I would stable for a few days and feed soaked meadow hay and see what happens .