Footwear challenge

flat3

Visit site
Bit of a random one. I've had my ankle fused and I have zero movement in the joint. This means I can't point my toes so can't wear conventional wellies or country boots as I can't physically get my foot in.

Even boots with a zip down the side don't seem to be an option as they have a gullet that stops them coming fully open (and presumably keeps them waterproof!)

Unfortunately muddy winter fields still exist and whilst I have some excellent ankle boots sadly the mud comes over the top ? so I'm looking for a solution!

Any ideas?

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Ariat used to do a long boot with a curved zip that would take a prosthetic leg with no ankle joint. I’ve forgotten the name. The zip started at the back then curved round to the front. It was also a beautiful boot. Maybe they still make a similar style.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

flat3

Visit site
Thanks all. I was trying to avoid gaiters as I can imagine using them in muddy fields then swapping out of them into my riding boots and getting filthy in the process!

I'll see if I can find the Ariat mentioned but sounds a bit beautiful for a working boot ? And unfortunately their riding boots don't fit me at all - made for the tall and slim, definitely not built to accommodate my permanently fat ankle (affectionately known as cankle).

Sbloom I am a recent barefoot convert, I love them so will definitely join those groups - thanks!

Any further suggestions welcome ?

Britestar

Visit site
Have a look at Bekina wellies. They have a very broad ankle.

A work colleague who has very restricted ankle movement (soon to be fused) says they are the only wellies she can get on.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
I have a very old pair of zip fastening wellies where the inner rubber gusset has come unstitched down one side so is only attatched by one seam . I still wear the boots , I just put my foot in , sort of wrap the flap of rubber around my leg and then zip them up over it . They still do the job of keeping my foot dry when I'm out doing the horses and although I don't have to trudge through deep mud , so I couldn't vouch for them in that situation , I have worn them in torrential rain and they've been fine .
Might be an expensive experiment but could you try a zipped boot and detatch the gusset along the back seam yourself ( easier to wrap it around your leg from front to back )? Or even try it with a pair of old/second hand/discarded ones first ?

flat3

Visit site
I have a very old pair of zip fastening wellies where the inner rubber gusset has come unstitched down one side so is only attatched by one seam . I still wear the boots , I just put my foot in , sort of wrap the flap of rubber around my leg and then zip them up over it . They still do the job of keeping my foot dry when I'm out doing the horses and although I don't have to trudge through deep mud , so I couldn't vouch for them in that situation , I have worn them in torrential rain and they've been fine .
Might be an expensive experiment but could you try a zipped boot and detatch the gusset along the back seam yourself ( easier to wrap it around your leg from front to back )? Or even try it with a pair of old/second hand/discarded ones first ?

That's good to know, thank you!