For all of you who are garden lovers-

Fairynuff

Visit site
move to the USA! My DEc copy of "The Horse" arrived today. On page 17 there is an article on horse composting!!! If the slaughter bill goes through in the States it will mean that horse slaughtering becomes illegal and rendering plants are becoming a rare species. So, what to do with all these dead neds? Put them on your compost heap
ooo.gif
You actually have to build the compost heap around the dead ned as I doubt if the bottomless dustbin in the garden would suffice.
Step 1-lay down a thick layer of chopped straw.
Step 2- put dead ned ontop of straw base.
Step 3-cover with something already rotting eg, farmyard manure (this will kickstart the process)
Step 4-cover heap with 50 per cent manure and 50 per cent hay waste
Step 5-water it well.
moisture content should be kept at about 50%. Take the piles temp every so often-within 24 hours it should reach131 to 155 degrees and remain so for a month.
After 3 months there will only be a few long bones left and after 6 nothing recognisable.The entire process from start to finish will take 7 to 9 months before its ready to spread on the fields!!!! Id rather put it under my petunias
grin.gif

Wouldnt you rather just bury your horse? I dont like the idea of burying my horse in the dung heap, I find it a bit YUCH! mairi.
ooo.gif