For anyone who has had a horse with fractured pedal bone

doodle

Visit site
How long before you were riding again? Mostly curious. He has had his 3 months box rest. He actually did the injury 2 months prior and It wasn't picked up till then. It has completely healed. He is now in normal.routube of out in day and in at night for the last week Vet wants to come back the end of Feb to trot up etc with a view to starting work.

Horse is looking amazing. Sound and no stiffness. I guess on lovely days like today i am itching to get back on. On horrible days I am fine with not riding. I know vet has to be cautious but wondering if I could hope for riding sooner.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Not had one but seen one. From the end of box rest she was 8 weeks in an increasingly bigger pen in the field and then started work. Never looked back. Similar history with being late to be found.

doodle

Visit site
Thanks.

I tried the smaller area in the field. He was fine the first few days then decided he wanted to be at the top with his buddys. Trashing the field and ending in a sweaty mess. So let him in with buddy which has been a success.

I will just be patient until end of Feb 😀

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mine had 12 weeks box rest in a cast then he was shod in heart bar shoes for him to go out in the field, he then had 12 weeks just being in the field I then just really slowly started riding I think he only had the heart bars on for 2 or 3 shoeings.

His fracture was rare as it was on the inside of the hoof near the toe most fracture on the wing at the back, his was also missed on the first x ray was only seen after he went in for further investigation.

His hoof did grow a bit strange afterwards it's only just starting to look better and that was 2 years ago now, he does also have mild coffin joint arthritis in both fronts but they have had steroids and his sound, his actually barefoot now and has been for about 9 months now.

doodle

Visit site
Thanks. This fracture was at the back on the wing. On a back foot. Apparently if they have to have a fracture then that is the "best" place. So the common one like you say. Vet is sure he will be fine with no further issues. He was initially shod with a wedge and 3d pad. Other feet without shoes. Vet didn't want to cast or heart bar as felt his heels would collapse in easily. The bad foot has a flat pedal bone rather than toe down hence the wedge. He then got the other back shoe on with the same so he was not lop sided (not worried about that while on box rest with thick mats and straw). That pedal bone angle was fine tho. I am quite keen to get the wedges off soon as I am concerned about good foot getting issues with wedge when not needed.

M1lbie

Visit site
My daughters 14.2 fractured the wing of his pedal bone on a front foot, again a late diagnosis as it initially was thought to be an abscess and only got x-rayed when he didn’t come quite sound on the turn. He ended up with 7 months box rest, shod initially with an aluminium plate covering the whole of his sole to help stabilise the foot, then had a bar shoe for several months when he was given the all clear to start work again. He fractured it when he was 9 and lived to be 30 with no further unsoundness. We did avoid jumping him for the first year back in work but after than that he returned to all the normal activities hacking, pony club etc., and was ridden into his late 20’s

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks. This fracture was at the back on the wing. On a back foot. Apparently if they have to have a fracture then that is the "best" place. So the common one like you say. Vet is sure he will be fine with no further issues. He was initially shod with a wedge and 3d pad. Other feet without shoes. Vet didn't want to cast or heart bar as felt his heels would collapse in easily. The bad foot has a flat pedal bone rather than toe down hence the wedge. He then got the other back shoe on with the same so he was not lop sided (not worried about that while on box rest with thick mats and straw). That pedal bone angle was fine tho. I am quite keen to get the wedges off soon as I am concerned about good foot getting issues with wedge when not needed.
Hopefully you won't have any long term issues then Arabi and I'm sure once the wedges are off he will be fine.

Arabi started to get under run heels on his foot it just really changed shape because of the fracture, plus he was 18 when he did it so the box rest didn't do him any favours he lost so much muscle and top line, and was so stiff he had 6 weekly physio for over a year.

Horseysheepy

Visit site
I have known of two.

One horse was on box rest for quite a few months and the other less, possibly a less complex fracture than the first.
However, both horses begun ridden work within a year and gone on well and sound afterwards.

doodle

Visit site
Hopefully you won't have any long term issues then Arabi and I'm sure once the wedges are off he will be fine.

Arabi started to get under run heels on his foot it just really changed shape because of the fracture, plus he was 18 when he did it so the box rest didn't do him any favours he lost so much muscle and top line, and was so stiff he had 6 weekly physio for over a year.
Wow. I think we have been really lucky. I had the physio out 2 days before the last x-rays. She was pretty amazed as he has not dropped any muscle and his posture is still good.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Wow. I think we have been really lucky. I had the physio out 2 days before the last x-rays. She was pretty amazed as he has not dropped any muscle and his posture is still good.
I made a decision not to box rest him anymore his little body doesn't cope anymore.

Glad your horse has been ok hopefully you will be riding soon 😊

Visit site
hi, how are you doing with your horse - i keen to know as i too have ahorse with a fractured pedal bone :( we are 12 weeks in and the x ray just showed that it may be healing at the op but still needs time to heal fully - our prob is he develop a second issue of having slow gut mobility - he is no longer allowed hay so makes box rest hard he is now out in the day on grass and in at night on a low residue diet and grass on - i am at my wits end im really hoping for a miracle

doodle

Visit site
His pedal bone is totally healed. X-rays at 12 weeks of box rest showed it healed. He had 6 weeks in the field then and back into work. He is back in full work I think we are 8 weeks in to work. He is now lame on a front foot 😵‍💫