For "Old Nags and Veterans" from long gone Blackeventer

flohelf

Visit site
Been lurking long enough now... I guess my last post must be 2009 (shocking, I know...) but between life adventures and misadventures it's been a rocky ride not to mention computer issues.

Amazed at all the new names I can't relate to as opposed to all those I remember fondly: Rosiefan, jules89 (how is Zeb ?), Noodlejaffa, SarahJane, Puppy, Papafrita, just to name a few...

When I got back onto HHO and to my surprise, my username was no longer Blackeventer but flohelf (my login). Oh well... No idea how that's happened though.

If any of you remember, I'd be happy to hear your news and share the latest on you, your horses, comps, etc...
I saw that TigersEye had moved to southern France and competed at Pau****: Good for her!

So much has happened....I almost lost my boy twice while away from from HHO (part of the explanation but not only...)
He's now at home with me (new house with land, shelter and a buddy to keep him company), so I can keep an eye on him! He's going on 23, going strong although still up to no good whenever he gets a chance. Nothing like retired eventers: They never give up, do they?

Son is still going strong in California although his head mare's injury took him out of Cpt MP's selection and that was a blow to him...
Currently starting and competing talented youngsters in eventing. Got married a year ago and it was a great excuse to take my 86 yo mum in tow to Cal to celebrate and to attend the most amazing wedding ever!!!

New addition to my small animal family is Ava, a lovely 7 yo ladycat whom I adopted after she was thrown out of a car window... (bastards...) She is now in love with the horses and thinks the stables is the greatest place (plenty of mice-snacks) and the boys not so scary anymore!

Here it is in a nutshell.

Looking forward to hearing from the "Forum Oldies".
Flo

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Hello! I remember your posts if for no other reason than it was always fun to drool over your son ;)

Hee hee! Ditto this, I didn't remember you at all at the start of your post, and then you mentioned your son....

Any pics of his progress, sure his wife won't mind :) :p

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Ditto Gamebird. I read Eventing Nation a lot and keep hoping to see mention of your son but the headlines on West Coast seem to be dominated by ex pat James Alliston!

flohelf

Visit site
Thank you all!

I guess better be remembered through my (gorgeous!) son than not at all...:)

Yes LEC, James is doing very well. He and Alexis know each other well and work/ride in yards located in the same area. Last HT at Galway Downs was very successful for James!Alexis won 2 divisions but it was with younsters.

TableDancer

Visit site
I was only thinking of you the other day and up you pop. Hello! Nice to hear from you.

Same here - funny, isn't it, maybe GB and my thoughts got to you somehow :) Great to hear from you, I'm another one who used to drool very unsuitably over your son :D Glad he's going well, although disappointing about the mare. Still, new regime coming in and all that, so new start ;)

Llanali

Visit site
Glad to "see" you back.

Come on then- for those who don't know or remeber where is the photo of your son and his pupil in the dirt?? Lol memories, memories. Glad to hear all going well but how gutting for him- what happened to his mare?

jules89

Visit site
heyyyy, so pleased that the one time I'm work avoiding and having a nosey that I see this thread! :)

You sound like you're having a ball! Great to hear that everyone is going well (although I say that is a tad bittersweet with your son getting hitched) ;)

Zeb did a * in Lignieres and aced it; there are photos on my Facebook, can't remember if you lurked on there? He seems to be ok, although currently hating his end of season holiday (workaholic!) and is covering himself in mud in protest! He honestly looks like a hippo!

Not much else to add really, I've still got my broken elbow so riding again is looking very unlikely... :( am resorted to being an owner and being fed copious amounts of wine instead, what a shame ;)

Lovely to hear from you xx

flohelf

Visit site
Hey jules! So happy to hear you and Zeb are ok and "acing" it! He went to Lignieres!!! that' fab news. Who was riding him?. Did you go too?

I've actually just given up on FB. Was getting annoyed with the whole thing and de-activated my page but might have a peek at yours (since you can never vanish totally from the evil thing...)

(Want to use the smileys but can't figure it out... I have been away too long, everything has changed on HHO!)

So sorry about your elbow... Was it a fall off Zeb?

As for the wine, no shame really... mellows you out and no harm if it's decent quality !!!

So nice to hear from you too!
Flo xoxox

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Hello!! Another that loved hearing about you & your son! V sorry to hear that the good mare went lame :-( does your son have a website?

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Hello! Welcome back you proably don't remember me but I remember you or your posts at least! (thats not ment to be as creepy as it sounds!)
Very sorry to hear about your son's horse. How gutting.

PS Hate to be the bearer of bad news but do you know that Rosiefan passed away earlier this year?

flohelf

Visit site
Oh no... So sad about Rosiefan. I used to love her posts and enthusiasm about grand-daughter Rosie's riding achievements, her sharing on HHO her worries and hope when Rosie had that terrible accident and her amazing recovery...

Yes, I do remember you, Felicity_09! :)

flohelf

Visit site
He used to have a pretty nice one. Closed it and started a new one which, last time I checked, still looked "in the making".... If you google "cheval training", it should get you there but not much to see!
Told him he has to get on with it :) but riding 8 to 10 horses a day and a lot of demanding owners doesn't leave him much spare time...