For ROG-towing with a van?

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
It has been suggested that a van could be substituted for a towcar. I had a transit once though and the weight limit was only about 1000kg I think as the van itself was designed to carry most of the weight. ROG could you comment on this please? Would a vehicle such as a Vauxhall Vivaro be an option for towing? Obviously not with the off road ability of 4wd but spacious and perhaps more economical?

DirectorFury

Visit site
I've seen a few VW T5's towing and it seems to be a good compromise with somewhere dry to sit and make a cup of tea, without the running costs of a lorry.

I worked out I could tow a box and one horse with our T4 camper (was hoping to stay away overnight at shows as don't have a lorry and don't do tents!) but OH has lowered it now :eyeroll:.

outinthefens88

Visit site
I'll add in that any 'well loaded' Vivaro's and their Renault and Nissan counterparts are well known in the motor trade for problems with clutches and gearboxes, which get worse if you tow with them....

Occasionally wouldn't be an issue but not something I would be wanting to do on a regular basis....

Procrastination

Visit site
I use a VW T5 for towing and would recommend it, plenty of power and well within its towing capabilities to tow a double trailer with two horses on board. Only issue I have with it is fuel consumption, it usually averages about 33mpg but goes down to about 23mpg when towing.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
my dad tows me around with his van! its so embarrassing! but I can't complain as it saves me having to spend money on doing my test! and loads of room in the back to water and tack etc!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Why don't you driver the van with Dad supervising ?

I have driven it before, when the trailer is empty but I'm not insured because its a commercial vehicle, for his business. and would workout expensive to add me on as a driver.

He does have a pick up truck now too, which I'm trying to convince him to let me be insured on!