For sale ad put me off because it was... cheap?!

SOS

Visit site
Hello everyone, its my first post but I am a long time lurker so feels a bit strange as I "know" you all but you dont know me!

My question is related to a horse I saw advertised this evening online (note: I should not really be looking for horses online but I can dream :p) It was the kind of horse I would look for, nice looking 16.1hh hunter/allrounder. Supposedly been in the same home for a large number of years and done local showjumping, dressage and clinics. Then in the winters had hunted with noteable local packs. Had the normal 'no vices etc' spiel.

I thought the price would be atleast over 5k for a horse like this, a been there, done that and got the t-shirt. But it was actually under half this which instantly made me suspicious.

The only "cons" I could see was that it was an ex racehorse, full TB and, maybe for some people, that it was a mare. Having dealt with similar horses in the past this does not put me off but the price does. It makes me feel that is either not as described or has underlying injury.

So what I am asking is have you ever been put off by a horse being cheap for what it should be able to do? Or am I overly sinister?

Please keep this lighthearted, its my first thread :)

SpringArising

Visit site
I would think ex racer, tb and mare would probably reduce the price also what sort of age makes a difference

Plus coming to winter.

It wouldn't put me off at all. Some people just really need or want a quick sale. Or don't care about money.

All you can do is go and look at the horse in front of you and go from there.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
If they've put that much detail into the ad about her history, she would be fairly easy to check up on, so it wouldn't put me off looking (other than that I wouldn't buy a TB mare but that's not the point :D )

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I wouldn't be put off enquiring as you'll find out why so cheap usually!

However I don't think most ex racers will command the same price as something else doing the same things. Which is a bit odd.

JJS

Visit site
I wouldn't be put off enquiring as you'll find out why so cheap usually!

However I don't think most ex racers will command the same price as something else doing the same things. Which is a bit odd.

A bit odd, as FW said, but completely true. I imagine her breed alone will have significantly dented her asking price.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Totally agree, If your interested enquire! I would object to paying at all for an ex racer because i can get them free pretty much whenever I wanted. (if i wanted!)
I guess thats pretty much the only reason they are worth less, the fact there are so many around often free to rehome so the bit you pay for one thats been there and done it is more relevant to that fact than the actual horse if that makes sense!

SOS

Visit site
Unfortunately it is about 4-5 months too early for me to consider enquiring as I am not in a position to buy so I cant go investigate why it may be cheap!

Completely agree with what everyone has put about their being more ex-racers/TBs so thus fetching less of a price. However like FfionWinnie said it is strange as I was interested in this horse for what it has done i.e hunter/ all rounder which if it is an honest ad and the horse is true is quite rare. But is that to say an ad written exactly the same but with another breed e.g Irish Sports horse would be expected to be a higher price?

In my mind, I would prefer not to have a mare but as its personal preference it shouldnt dent the price. Thinking about it now what would maybe put me off is the fact it is an exracer so likely had a heavy work early in life and the potential implications this may have on its health in the future.

alice1234

Visit site
It's likely it's just because they need a quick sale and aren't too worried about the money, and because it's winter. I know what you mean though, I'd message/phone them to talk about it and if you still want the horse there's no harm in going for a few viewings if it's not too far away, so you can try and make sure the ad was honest.
The ex racehorse thing definitely lowers the price too, but if you've worked with them before this shouldn't be a problem!

maree t

Visit site
Only a pony but I put off seeing a 13hh PC pony for my daughter for 6 months that I thought was too cheap . We ended up buying him and will have him forever now . He took her to england trials countless county shows etc . I still get reminded regularly that I didnt want to go and see him . He did have problems which we got over but he took a little kid to mini camp this year as well . Precious to us .

SOS

Visit site
Only a pony but I put off seeing a 13hh PC pony for my daughter for 6 months that I thought was too cheap . We ended up buying him and will have him forever now . He took her to england trials countless county shows etc . I still get reminded regularly that I didnt want to go and see him . He did have problems which we got over but he took a little kid to mini camp this year as well . Precious to us .

Cheap and for sale for 6 months... I wouldnt be touching it with a barge pole! Which just proves maybe I need to stop thinking the worst of horses for sale. But in all seriousness, well done to you for taking a chance on the pony and it seems like you have ended up with a real gem who is probably priceless now you know how good he is. :)