For sale photo omg is it me ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Not a sales ad, but some parents amaze me. We had a minus fifteen wind chill factor here about 20 years ago and the advice was not to go out in it as it was dangerously cold. There was a family with a babe in arms out on the local hillside in it.

It was warmer but still minus figures and a strong breeze when I next rode. In a field was a family sledging. In a canvas sling type pushchair was a tiny child, left completely unattended, blanketed on top but with the wind whipping the heat out of the entire underside of the buggy.

That one I just couldn't leave, I rode into the field and told them they were going the right way about having their baby die of hypothermia while they were all having fun in the snow.

I wince when I see women out on a hack with a tiny child in a papoose in front of them. Not my place to judge, of course, but how would you ever forgive yourself if you fell off and killed or seriously hurt the baby?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Not a sales ad, but some parents amaze me. We had a minus fifteen wind chill factor here about 20 years ago and the advice was not to go out in it as it was dangerously cold. There was a family with a babe in arms out on the local hillside in it.

It was warmer but still minus figures and a strong breeze when I next rode. In a field was a family sledging. In a canvas sling type pushchair was a tiny child, left completely unattended.

That one I just couldn't leave, I rode into the field and told them they were going the right way about having their baby die of hypothermia while they were all having fun in the snow.

I wince when I see women out on a hack with a tiny child in a papoose in front of them. Not my place to judge, of course, but how would you ever forgive yourself if you fell off and killed or seriously hurt the baby?
And I thought the photo was bad ......

Pinkvboots

Visit site

It was warmer but still minus figures and a strong breeze when I next rode. In a field was a family sledging. In a canvas sling type pushchair was a tiny child, left completely unattended, blanketed on top but with the wind whipping the heat out of the entire underside of the buggy.

What that is madness!!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site

I was that child ? birdwatching parents who liked to spend wild winter days counting geese and looking for migrant birds on Spurn Head and other godforsaken places. Still remember walking back across the causeway to Lindisfarne in a hailstorm when I was 4 or so. For some reason it put me off birdwatching until I was middle aged ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was that child ? birdwatching parents who liked to spend wild winter days counting geese and looking for migrant birds on Spurn Head and other godforsaken places. Still remember walking back across the causeway to Lindisfarne in a hailstorm when I was 4 or so. For some reason it put me off birdwatching until I was middle aged ?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! ?

Wishfilly

Visit site
Just seen an ad of a horse for sale.
A picture is provided of said horse loose in a field.....
Tiny baby in pram is positioned next to loose horse in a field. No one holding pram, no one holding horse......
The thoughts of what could happen have made me go cold.
Am I too old and just not with it anymore ?

I don't think I'm old by anyone's measure and that terrifies me! I think some people just don't think?

Upthecreek

Visit site
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! ?

I’m definitely in the “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” camp and my kids endured all sorts of character building outdoor activities when they were growing up. But riding a horse with a baby in a papoose (or whilst pregnant) is not something I ever did. Just too much risk of me crushing them, though I’m sure someone will be along in a minute to say they continued riding until the day before they gave birth.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

Not that I’m advocating what these parents were doing but it’s tradition in Iceland to leave your baby out in freezing weather. I know this as I have two Icelandic Great nieces.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com...-napped-in-sub-zero-temperatures-outside/amp/

still standing

Visit site
Not horsy related but on topic. I was on a skiing holiday in the Alps a few years ago and we heard a baby had died. Parents, good skiers, had it in a papoose on their back & took about 3 successive chairlifts to the top slopes. By the time they got back down, the baby had died of hypothermia. I suppose a wind chill factor had an effect too, but how awful for the parents, I've never forgotten that.

Lois Lame

Visit site
One also has to be careful of overheating a baby. (Since the subject seems to have moved away from positioning babies in prams behind/near horses -- I've seen this myself. Horrified, I was.)

I once heard that there might be a link bewteen cot death and overheated babies.

maya2008

Visit site
I did ride almost until the end of my pregnancy with child no.1 - however I did not jump, and was on the safest, sanest horse ever, who knew I was pregnant before I did (and refused to canter in case I fell off)! At one point we were out hacking and a load of motorbikes came zooming past, tooting their horns. She looked at them in horror whist walking carefully on, as if to say, ‘Don’t you know my mummy’s pregnant? You have to be careful round her!’ When I went into labour she knew, and waited by the gate until we came out of hospital - straight to the field so my panicking, worried horse could see that we were both ok. When my daughter was tiny, she and one of the others stood by the pram (because clearly the human standing there was incapable...!) whilst another of the herd chased off the fox that had come sniffing into the field, too close to the children for the horses’ comfort. The day my daughter climbed out of her buggy and went to investigate her orange legs, she stood like a statue while I retrieved the child.

My horses live together in a settled herd, and I buy for temperament. They see my children as an extension of that herd, and look out for them as if they were foals. My old pony has become my daughter’s first ridden - entirely her choice, she showed me that she wanted her on, so I tried it, and it worked amazingly well! Even our lovely rising 6 year old gelding looks out for the children and he worries terribly if they are out of sight or if the youngest is crying. When the kids went for a hooley and left us for dust the other day he was terribly worried- whereas normally you can leave him behind and he doesn’t care!

Flicker

Visit site
Not horsey but the scene that broke my heart was at a local shopping centre a couple of years ago, around February / March time. It was one of those pro-life groups with their nasty banners and leaflets and megaphones, doing their whole schtick. There were two really small children in the group, toddlers, who were sat on the ground just kind of propped against the wall next to the group’s bags and stuff. They must have been freezing. They should have been warm at home or in nursery, not on the concrete walkway of a shopping centre in the middle of winter. So sad that their parents were clearly more concerned about what other women were doing with their bodies than taking care of their own living offspring. I reported my concerns to one of the police officers who was observing and I really hope that action was taken.

Berpisc

Visit site
The thing is, there is nothing wrong with having your little ones out in the cold, the important bit is making sure they are warm and looked after properly.

Reminds me of my grandma telling me about when her family were going to their little brother's funeral. It must have been about this time of the year and grandma said her mum nearly suffocated her baby brother as she had him bundled up in so many clothes and wraps. Still, you yould appreciate mum's concern.

luckyoldme

Visit site
We were at Glentress last year about to go down a red trail when a couple came along with a young child in a tag along on the back of a bike.
That's a downhill trail meant for experienced mountain bikers. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. It was just so dangerous. No matter how experienced those parents are it was criminal to do what they did.