For the leather workers on here - Modifying Country Boots

Nasicus

Visit site
My shires country boots recently semi-died on me, big rip in the sole under the foot arch, so no longer waterproof and probably no good for riding in anymore.
I'm not keen to shell out for a new pair of boots, as I'm having the girls freezemarked soon and the youngster is going for proper backing end of next month, so don't really have the money to drop on new boots.

Thankfully, I do have a pair of barely used Brogini Derbyshire country boots. Why barely used? Because they are a nightmare to get on, thanks to the band of leather just below the teeny elastic insert, which is tighter than the rest of the boot and completely negates any wiggle room the insert may have given. So I'm tempted to just cut down through the band and add my own elastic insert in. I'm an experienced sew-er and have decent materials, such as strong elastic and thick heavy duty upholstery thread.

I'm just wondering what I can do to help prevent the exposed cut edges of the leather from fraying/ripping? Any particular stitch recommended? Maybe a completely different type of thread? Could possibly need an awl to properly punch the leather? Give up and take them to a professional leather worker to do?

Floxie

Visit site
The leather won't fray, but the cut stitching may come undone - I imagine it would need overstitching to prevent that - or adhesive of some sort? I'm in no way qualified to answer BTW, but would love to be! :D

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I had a pair of Soubirac boots stretched out to fit my calves; the bootmaker wet the leather and put in adjustable trees that he gradually opened out little by little, then left to dry slowly before removing the trees

I went back after two weeks, I think it was, and they were still slightly small, so another couple of weeks before they were OK...

If your country boots have some modern synthetic treatment, that method may not work...