For those of you walking your youngsters... what do you wear

Casey76

Visit site
on your feet?

I over pronate, and normally wear a stability running shoe when I'm running. I find my jod boots quite uncomfortable to walk long distances in, however I prefer the safety of my jod boots when walking with my 1/2 tonne elephant who doesn't quite know where his feet are.

As I won't be riding until Blitz evens up again (bum high again!) and I can get a wide enough/flat enough saddle, I'm planning on lots of in hand walks.

Unfortunately our shortest circular hack is 40 mins ridden, so lots of walking involved.

ps. does anyone know if it is possible to get a no-fill, high viz, horse walker/lunging rug? I don't really want to go out in full tack just to put a quarter sheet on :/ (I'm wearing high viz though!)

DD265

Visit site
I usually wear trainers, but I have a pair of Dublin Venturer jodhpur boots (which you can get with or without steel toe caps) which are unbelievable comfortable. Or if I was expecting to go through puddles, I have a pair of Mountain Horse Forest Highlander boots which are also very comfortable. I wore my Dublin Edge boots out!

I could never find anything hi viz like that for my boy so I put a tail guard on and a hi viz noseband. If I wanted more, then his quarter sheet could attach to his lunge roller I guess.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I've used a normal exercise sheet, lunge roller and breastplate when my boys have to go on the road. (Being retired they don't get out much so I won't buy anything special (old skinflint that I am!!)

Visit site
Roller and 1/4 sheet solves one problem.

I wear walking boots to do quite literally everything in! Come December when I have to start walking the Hocamaffe out (good one Jeff!) it will be them all the way! Massively comfortable, waterproof, thick enough to fend of most stray feet yet light enough of weight that they don't bog you down.

Hawks27

Visit site
I wear my karrimor hiking boots lightweight waterproof and heavenly comfortable as I have a joint disorder and get uncomfortable very easy and these boots have been fab. Not too expensive if you go in sports direct there pretty much always on sale
As for hi-viz I have a paddock roller or race roller with a breast girth so I can use my normal ride on exercise rugs when I take my horses out in hand

PorkChop

Visit site
I wear trainers, if they get wet or muddy just get put in the washing machine - agree with using a roller for the sheet :)

pippixox

Visit site
walking boots are the best (I have had the same pair for over 5 years, got from blacks or millets)- they are more comfy and designed for walking, unlike riding boots. they are also pretty solid if stepped on!

again, i use a roller with an exercise sheet hi-viz

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Lots of long-lining out non-youngster whilst pregnant at the moment (me, not her!). I swear by my Ariat terrains. The ultimate short boot - they are fantastic. If you can get a special shoe insert that would save your running shoes and your feet!

i would also suggest a 1/4 sheet and roller.

Ali2

Visit site
Ariat lace up boots, light and comfortable for walking. For hi viz horse is in a roller with a Parsons Rump and hi viz breastplate that Jan from Parsons Rump made for me.

kez81

Visit site
I second wearing a decent pair of walking boots. Tough enough not to crumple if accidentally trodden on by my half elephant of a horse but comfortable enough to wear all day. For hi viz I have either a bright orange fleece with reflective tape stitched all round it or a ride on rug I got from go out doors in sale. Looks a bit silly with no tack room as has cut out for saddle but who cares!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've got a very lightweight mesh hi vis exercise sheet that I use in summer, which could easily be used with a roller/breast plate.