For those of you who travel your horses in a trailer.....

Benefice1

Visit site
Ever since i have had my boy i have always travelled him in a lorry (he drags me up the ramp
blush.gif
and travels very well!)

The lorry belongs to the livery yard and it is proving difficult to book it and it is also expensive.

I did a HT a few weeks ago with my friend and i borrowed an IFOR trailer, he was a bit reluctant to go in to start with (although you could see he wasnt scared - more a case of do i have to!) and he travelled brilliantly.

I brought a Rice trailer at the weekend so i can get out on my own more but i was wondering how peoples horses travel in trailers on their own?!

I would obviously give him some hay to keep him occupied but has anyone else got any tips?

Like i said he is a great traveller but i dont want to worry him or make him so he isnt good - if any of that makes sense!

Sooty

Visit site
A lot of it is trial and error. We found out that Toffee likes to travel with as much space as possible (an entire trailer given the choice!) and no travel boots. She travels fine in half an Ifor 510. As long as your horse is driven carefully he will soon get used to his trailer, and it will be lovely for you to be independent! I know some people don't like to use haynets in trailers but she has one, it is the lesser of two evils...

katiejaye

Visit site
I just bought my trailer a few months ago and like yours my boy is a great traveller. We had a couple of moments where he panicked in the trailer when we first loaded him and he shot backwards but now he loads fantastically every time.

To start he was very insecure alone in it and called out on the first 3/4 journies. The only advice I can give is practice and routine. In the begininng I took him out as much as possible on his own and as often as I could so it became routine. He now travels fine with and without company.

Yours sounds great and it doesn't sound like you'll have too many problems.

Benefice1

Visit site
Thanks
smile.gif
i think that without a hay net he would get stressed on his own - he never had one in the lorry but he was always with others.

I suppose like most things the more they do it the more they are ok with it.

Thinking about it when i first got him he was a bit unsure about going in the lorry - had to be poked! and like i said now he drags me up there so hopefully the same will happen with the trailer once he gets the idea!
grin.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I used to borrow a rice trailer to take my big chestnut to a couple of HT's and I took out the partition and had a big breast bar in so she had plenty of room to move around and I didn't have any problems. I'd just give your boy a go with the partitions in and see how he goes, if he doesn't like it take them out. As sooty said, it's all trial and error
laugh.gif

zulu705

Visit site
I have always travelled my mare in a trailer. She is 16hh and went in a Richardson double all by herself with partition removed. She stands diagonally I think and is tied from both sides at the front (is that called cross tied?) has a haynet too and no travel boots.
Shes been in a 510 too and its much better loads of space and easier to load her in (she makes a fuss sometimes) as one canlead from each side then she goes straight in.
Don't think she would go in if there was a partition though.

Benefice1

Visit site
the trailer does have just one really big sturdy breast bar so if he doesnt like it with the partition in that is an easy option to try. thanks - just want to get out now!! think we are going to take him up to the beach next week - its not far away and he likes it there so it will be a nice jolly for him!!

clipertyplop

Visit site
you may already know but if you travel one horse its best to put them in on the off side, the higher side of the camber is in the middle of the road plus all the drains are on the near side, hope this is helpfull

sorona

Visit site
Start off with just short and slow journeys to start with to find out the way he likes to travel bst before you expect him to do a show at the end of the journey. Both my boys have always loaded and travelled well as do all 3 of my youngsters as they havent had a bad experience but if somebody else drives them who is a bit speedy, i find they are reluctant to load for a few times afterwards. If the weather is okay, I travel mine with the top door open as they seem more settled, especially if alone and always have a hay net for them. They prefer to have the security of having the centre partition in but none are particulary HW horses so still have plenty room.

ecrozier

Visit site
My lad likes it best with the partition out - he is only little but stands at an angle like mentionned above. Never hear a peep out of him now! He also always has a haynet although do usually soak the hay if going more than about 20 mins from home.
He def prefers without the partition as loads straight on without it, and is slower with...still goes on, just stands on ramp for a while as if to say 'can't you take that thing out mum?'!
Travels fine in company with partition in tho, I have an ifor 505 so fairly easy to put in and out.

Benefice1

Visit site
While i think about it rather than do another post! How does insurance work?? i.e. is it covered under the car for liability etc? Am not bothered about theft/damage cover etc to the trailer!

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I would never travel mine with the top door open, IMO it is just too risky with overhanging branches or stone chips flying up. With a Rice trailer it would not be possible due to the shape of the top door, it opens out of the roof and the top would stick outwards.

As others say trial and error, your horse will get used to travelling on its own, they soon realise there are other horses at events and they do come home again.

Sooty

Visit site
When you are towing the trailer is covered by your car insurance (for at least 3rd party, check with your insurer for full details). When not towing you will need to arrange cover for theft at least. Oh, and buy a sturdy clamp or two! The Bulldog nose clamp hitchlock thingy is reckoned to be one of the best, and if you use a wheel clamp put it on the back wheel.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Mine over the years have varied, but I always provide food no matter how short the journey.

Also as soon as I stop, I will open the jockey door or if I have one, a front ramp so they don't feel trapped and can see out.

Breeze liked no partition, Fleur hated travel boots, Delia would back out fast. Cairo needs a big trailer and really sweats up as he gets hot easily. Chancer so far is just about perfect and he is only a baby.

filly190

Visit site
Went from a lorry to a trailer this year, no problems on my own at all. Towed a foal one hour home on our own, just closed everything up.

Tow big green, backward filly who has never travelled to lessons, no problem. She does not load very well, but can manage it.

Boolagh

Visit site
Our mare (16.1) wasn't really happy travelling in the trailer until we removed the central partition and put in a chest bar. Now she's quiet as a mouse (does need a haynet though). So try this if you have any problems.