For those of you with spanish horses??

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Hi all,

As from Saturday I will be the proud new full loaner of a beautiful Andalucian. Very excited, but.......she's grey :eek::eek: and has a very long thick mane (as the spanish do)

I would be really grateful if you could help me and answer some of my questions (things I seem to be worrying about lol)

- What products do you use on their mane and tails? (are there any in particular that are good for mud/getting knots out)

- Do you use full neck rugs? (if not, how do you protect their manes from excess mud and from clumps falling out)

- Do I turn her out with very lose plaits in her mane?

And any other tips would be great :D ...her current owner said that she turns out without a neck for the reasons above but I was in such deep thought about the mud that I forgot to ask more questions about her mane (and colour) upkeep :rolleyes::D ..So I'll ask the owner again, but I'm curious as to what others do too :)

My main concern is her mane falling out...and tackling wet mud. I understand that if I were to brush her mane everyday it will more than likely fall out, but then if I leave it for a few days the mud will just get thicker and harder to tackle?? Our fields are very wet and boggy and turning a horse out without a neck cover is asking for trouble ;) ...let alone turning out a grey mud monster with a thick long mane without one :eek::D

Just to add- she's totally worth it and I'm very excited :D (will be topping up my grooming kit with various gadgets to tackle the mud)

Thanks in advance :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Is a grey arab close enough?

I don't use neck covers as they rub out the bottom half of her mane. :(

I love cowboy magic green spot remover (gets all the stains out with minimal effort).

She lives out and I don't plait her mane. I remove any windtangles carefully as soon as I spot them.

Her mane and tail are only brushed out for special occasions.

Blue/purple rinse granny shampoo (from Boots) is great for getting the pee stains out of her tail.

ETA. Sometimes she looks like this...
100_2145.jpg

but generally she stays pretty clean.
100_2207-1.jpg

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I don't use anything on my Spanish horses manes, just unpick any tangles slowly and using fingers only. The mud doesn't stick in there much and is easily picked out. You could try some baby oil (not a lot!) if you do have problems getting it out. Tangles and wind knots are more of a problem, but then again I just pick them out as they occur. Sounds as if the owner has already alerted you to the most common mistakes (rugs with necks and over brushing), but the thing I like least is mane in the way of the reins when riding - you do just get used to it 'tho. I wouldn't plait the hair as this tends to make it break off at the root, but that's just my preference.

chazza44

Visit site
I use NAF mane and tail conditioner once a week and I just separate with my fingers. I was told to avoid too much brushing/combing as this can break the hairs in the mane.

Mine doesn't role around in the mud as he hates puddles etc so don't turn him out in full neck yet but will be soon.

Seems to be keeping him luscious and long - will post a pic

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have a haflinger with Barbie blonde mane and tail. I tend to just brush a little baby oil through it. Keeps it knot free and the mud doesnt stick. Much cheaper than mane and tail sprays. x

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
congrats!

I have a grey lusitano :D

no neck covers or half necks-if you really must then I found that the looser, amigo types of neck covers were better

no plaits-if they rub then they can rub out a whole chunk with a plait, breaks hair

Carr, Day * Martin mane detangler stuff, use liberally, acts as a mud repellant

I don't tend to brush through very much, use fingers when I do

no youngsters in field with her!

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate it and feel a little better now lol. peteralfred it's nice to know I'm not alone in having a grey spanish :D (I'm new to the world of greys- have always had bays and I thought they were bad enough for mud lol)

Faracat I've been told she absolutely loves mud and puddles so I can imagine she will look like your mud monster too.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate it and feel a little better now lol. peteralfred it's nice to know I'm not alone in having a grey spanish :D (I'm new to the world of greys- have always had bays and I thought they were bad enough for mud lol)

Faracat I've been told she absolutely loves mud and puddles so I can imagine she will look like your mud monster too.

*psst* lusitanos are Portuguese ;)

mine won't roll when its cold and he's very clean in his box. He has his moments though and can come in plastered. They are awesome horses (both the Spanish and the Portuguese ;) ) so enjoy her!

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
*psst* lusitanos are Portuguese ;)

mine won't roll when its cold and he's very clean in his box. He has his moments though and can come in plastered. They are awesome horses (both the Spanish and the Portuguese ;) ) so enjoy her!

oops, my bad. I should know that considering I've been out to work (on a dressage yard) in Portugal (twice) thanks for correcting me ;)

They are fabulous and I am very excited, I will do thank you :)

StormyMoments

Visit site
my andalusian is in a full neck turn out and he has a massive crest being a stallion and he has been fine :) when he didnt have a neck cover on i plaited his mane in long thin plaits and he didnt rub them out and i used show sheen on his mane and didnt brush it much :) he doesnt roll at all as he doesnt like mud and the rug hasnt started to rub his mane out at all and hes been wearing it about a month now :)

Snapshot1117-11-201215-54.png

Andiamo

Visit site
Mine is Spanish. He has a long thick mane. I keep it in long plaits at all times...it stops from getting any tangles at all. If he does roll in mud, I just use a curry comb (when it's dry), run it over the muddy plait, and all the mud falls out. About once per week, I undo the plaits, and re-do them to tidy them up - when the hair is out, I spray some conditioner in, and brush gently with a wide toothed brush, hardly any hair comes out, (because there are no tangles). For shows I do a running plait.

The tail - like the others, I don't brush it very often. If it is covered in mud, I get the shampoo out, and give it a good wash, rinse thoroughly, spray with conditioner and then brush it gently. I would never brush it when it is full of mud - I just shampoo it, then condition, and the brush just glides through it.

His mane and tail look fab, long, thick, luxurious.
I use rugs with a neck cover - but the ones I buy usually have some kind of silky /poly lining in the neck so it doesn't rub. His mane has never been rubbed out.

I always ride with the mane plaited (long plaits)....due to having a bad experience when I first got him - I had his mane down and long, and he took off at top speed uncontrollably....I tried to pull him up with the reins, but all I got was handfuls of mane.... ever since then he's plaited for riding ;)

Enjoy your new horse :)

puss

Visit site
Mine wear rugs with neck but i pulled his mane bloody stuff got everywhere cant stand loads of mane stuck in the reins.

noblesteed

Visit site
I leave mane au naturale without a neck cover. Even his normal rug rubs so I won't use a neck cover! If you spanish plait for shows the mane is all tucked away anyway, so it's not the end of the world to let the mane get a bit grubby. I often plait his mane into little plaits - it keeps it out of the way for riding and keeps him cool in summer.

Wahl Diamond White is the best shampoo I have found. I only do his tail and legs regularly. He gets a full bath only if there's somewhere warm to dry him as he's a big wimp! But he stays quite clean anyway, a shiny-lined rug like an Amigo is a must.

7 day mud-away is good in the tail as is lynn russell conditioner.